Seeding and Propagation/Malinche Tree

Where can I buy Malinche Tree seeds (6-8) to plant in Phoenix , AZ?
I visited Costa Rica in June 2015 and a tour guide sent me some, but they failed to germinate. With enough water, I believe I can get them to grow in Phoenix, AZ....Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanx for your question.  Delonix regia.  We had this tree in Florida and when I lived in Hawai'i.  It's more commonly known in those parts as Royal Poinciana or Flamboyant.  Easy to propagate from seed and member of the pea family.

I see these trees a lot from Ft. Lauderdale on south out to Key West.  The tree is not recommended for the Phoenix area because of the likelihood of killing frosts periodically although I understand there are wonderful examples of the tree in various parts of the metropolitan area.  I lived in Phoenix and Glendale back in the late 70s and into 1980 and did not recall seeing any of the trees at that time.  I understand the tree does well in Yuma and the areas of Arizona that don't get the killing frosts as often as Maricopa County.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade.  I grow stuff in my Zone 6 climate that I'm not supposed to be able to grow.  Some stuff is dead now, others, I just keep trying.  Some trees, I have stunted so they will grow in pots like Meyer Lemon and actually have them produce a lot of fruit!

I didn't have much luck finding a place that sells the tree but here's a link of some local people in your area who may be able to help you find what you're looking for.  I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.