Selecting Child Care/nanny

Question
hi,

I know you specialize in answering questions on daycare but I'm not sure who else to ask this question to, if you can't answer it, who should I ask this? Here's my question.

I'm 17 years old and I do school online, I'm nannying for a family and they have a 6 month old baby. I work 36 hours a week and they pay me $125 a week (about $3 an hour) I feel this isn't a fair wage and that they are taking advantage of me. Could you suggest what I should get paid an hour? I am CPR & first aid certified, I've worked in 2 in home child cares and I have over 5 years experience of babysitting. I've also nannied for a family before this family where I got paid $5 an hour to care for their infant.

They want me to start teaching her sign language and do other activities with her. I watch her In their home and also clean up after her and myself. We live in a small town of around 1500 to 2000 people. I really don't know who else to ask this to, and I nannying is a form of child care but it is specialized child care because it's one on one and so if you could give me advice on a good wage I would really appreciate it!

Answer
Hi Kylie,
Wages vary widely from state to state so it's hard for me to give you an idea of what you should be getting paid. You can look for other nanny jobs in your area and see what others are getting paid. Here is another great website that may help: http://www.care.com/child-care-nanny-cost-p1145-q83979.html

Selecting Child Care

Tonya Wright