Self Defense/Training for speed

Question
hello,
      i just researched a lot read all bruce lee books appllied them all but i cant get the lightening speed of bruce lee i know how to trin for other areas like strenght,stamina etc but still after much work and research i cant have a proper layout working of how to generate speed
         thanks please give me some basics of that and some training plans thanks

Answer
Let me tell you that achieving "Bruce Lee" type speed is almost impossible. He was training most of the day, most of the night, and had genetics to back him.

There are several types of speed that you need to understand:
1) Linear Speed. The ability to accelerate.
2) Reflexive/Reactive Speed. The ability to react to a stimulus.
3) Explosive Speed. The initial burst of acceleration.
4) Continual Speed. The ability to maintain constant acceleration.
5) Directional Speed. A combination of Explosive Speed and Reflexive Speed. This attribute allows one to be explosive, stop, change direction, and reapply explosive speed.

I am sure there are more than just these...but you get the idea. So when someone asks me...I want more speed, I ask them back...what kind?

As a general rule, speed is a product of muscle memory. The more you do something, the faster you can do it. But the secret isn't in doing it fast over and over...rather it is in doing it super slow. To absorb every moment of the action, and over-develop the muscles used. That is what makes JKD training so special. We have very specific ways to train and drill that allow us to develop attributes such as timing, distancing, speed, etc.  

Self Defense

Nik Farooqui