Self Defense/Judo and Freestyle Wrestling

Hi Marc,

I'm looking at taking up a martial art and two of my options are judo and Olympic freestyle wrestling. Which one of these would be the most beneficial for self defense? Self defense isn't my main goal but it's something I'm taking into consideration. What are the benefits and weaknesses of each one?

I haven't looked into the application of Olympic FSW.

I like judo for a variety of reasons, most having to do with it teaching you to throw instead of hitting. (You can hit him with your fist or hit him with the earth. The earth is bigger, it hurts more)

Having said that, realistically 'self-defense' is only one tenth physical. So just knowing Judo isn't going to do everything for you

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV