Self Defense/Power from the ground

How can you generate power when you're on the ground? I'm thinking specifically of the classic you're-on-the-ground-he's-standing-up position where you're on your back/side using kicks to keep him away.

Okay, you can generate power while on the ground, but you have to know how to use a base other than your legs.  So yeah, you can hit some dude who is trying to grapple with you -- but in these situations targeting becomes REAL important. You're not hitting 'as hard' but you're hitting in a really, really tender spot.

Down on the ground, him up? It's easier to change who is generating the power.

Often in MMA there are what I call '3 Stooges knockouts'  You've seen the old gag where one of the stooges walks face first into a pipe, bar, wall, doorframe or strut. You see them way less in boxing, but in MMA matches a whole lot of the knock outs are because someone stuck a fist out and the other guy ran into it face first. It isn't the force of the hit (in fact, the limb could almost be stationary), but the forward momentum of the guy's charge. Again, think 3 Stooges and running into the end of a pipe.

The trick on this one is knowing your leg's 'range' so you have the most structure.

Then wait until he's about to move into that range and then shoot it out. You wait because by the time it AND he gets there, it's too late for him to save himself. He runs onto your leg with his entire body weight and does all the power generating for you.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV