Self Defense/Sword Fighting

What benefits do you think sword fighting practice can give to someone who is doing self defense training? I find sword fighting to be pretty fun if you practice it with fake but realistic looking swords with no edges, and some body gear. What do you think you can benefit from learning how to use swords and going against your partner with a sword? So I'm just wondering what can sword training and fighting give you?

Let me tell you a summation that I got from Rory Miller.

Martial arts are acting. Fighting is improv.

He and I both use this to explain an important concept.

Acting and improv are NOT the same. Improv is an art unto itself. BUT, without acting training you're going to suck at improv.  You need the skills you get from acting to be good at improv. Because you need the nuts-and-bolts aspects of acting to be good at improv.

Basically, that's so you don't have to think about those nuts-and-bolts details while you are improv'ing. You can turn your entire focus on winging it.

I am a BIG fan of sword fighting as part of learning things about movement that you're NOT going to get in any other kind of MA training (like getting the hell out of the way of an attack). So I vote yes, because the list of useful -- and transferable -- skills you pick up doing it really helps in not having to think about them in a self-defense situation. They're there.  Now focus on not getting hurt by an attacker

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV