Self Defense/asking for an opinion

Question
what do you think of wing chun, jkd and krav maga and how can we compare what they offer for self defense situations?
i looked around in some foruns and the general opinion is that wc is bad but has some good principles, km is good and jkd depends on the instructor but i dont fully believe that because most people talk without knowing.
i'd like to train jkd but since i cant find any school in my area im tied up between starting wc or km.. i like wc most but i think it wastes some precious time in the practice of "katas" and useless other stuff and have too many fixed positions, weird defense techniques that seem to be not practical and they only practice against their own way of punching.
whats your opinion on this subject?
thank you very much for your time

Answer
Filipe I see you have realistic grasp of the situation and see the diffrence between marttial arts training anf slef-defense training.

Keep in mind the histrorical relaity that at not time in hsitory anywhere on the planet where unarmed martial arts like WC or any other art actually never used for real fighting except in athletic contests (which are nevera real fight of course).

Man is the tool user and fights with weapons and not his bare hands and always has.Hence no martial system really has any history in actual fighting or self-defence they are just arts. But they do have some SD value too especially if mastered but few will ever get there.

As a kid 40 years ago I took up WC and it has a few good moves but is too complex for most people to pull off in a real fight due to the adrenal dump is always the most decisive element in real self-defense and not 'moves' or 'techniques'.Martial arts does not address that element if the adrneal dump at all but how you handle the adrneal dumpt which will always occur in any real fight is far more important than what 'techniues' you know.

This is because if the adrneal dump overcomes you then you can't phsyically execute the fine motor skill techniques of any MA system. Simply put that is why MA study seldom helps most people in a real attack.

Real fights are far simpler than MA would lead one to believe. You only need a few techniques that you can deliver under and the adrnal flood and that means gross motor skills only for most people not the fine motor skills of WC or other Martial systems.

In this regard I would take Krav Maga as being more practical for sd. Now some the highest rnaking instructors of KV from Isarel have come to my Colorado facility to train under my RMCAT methodolgy, which is adrenal stess driven and scanario based using armored assailants.

That was 10 years ago and now in Israel the RMCAT method is displacing KV in some areas but mostly just being incorporated into KV schools in Israel. It's is hard to find legitmate KV school in the US but they do exist.

I suggest you do read the material on my website rmcat.com  Mainly because it explains the real problem in self-defense and it is not technique skill or knowlegde. You can be a WC master and be beaten senesless by a 'half ass street figheter' if you are overcome by the adrenal dump as most MA people of any style are when it comes to a real fight.

Also remember no athelitic contest (prize fight in a ring) can serve as model for an actual fight in almost any signficant way. So what you see in the UFC etc should never be used as a 'model' of what might work or be effective in a real fight.

The website demand some study and thinking to grasp all this but belive that is the very first step, that is to see what counts in an actual fight and why.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions too Filipe. But go talk to the KV school owner and ask to watch a class. Also staying out of fights is the true art of the master and you need to study that skill too.

Peyton
www.rmact.com
www.stresshooting.com

Self Defense

Peyton Quinn