Self Defense/example?

Question
QUESTION: http://www.combativemind.com/self-protection-hard-skills/knife-defence-fundament

So the link above, especially the video under trapping, seems to me like a perfect example of someone trying to fight someone with a weapon, rather than incapacitating them. Right?

Now in Stevan Plink's Pukulan Pentjak Silat tape, there's a section (with Richard Dobson) where he talks about knife defense. He uses the waiter stance along with an upward sweeping arm to block and trap the knife arm. Obviously this is more sophisticated than the above, but is it still too focused on the weapon?

ANSWER: *Sigh* Neal Martin. He and I are scheduled to have a sit down and cup of tea next time I'm over there.  

And yes, that's a good example of it -- especially the standing right in front of the dude and trying to beat him to death.  (What's amazing about that scene is they didn't go down ass over teakettle when he went up on one leg to knee the attacker)

With Steve less so, but you can't tell that by the video. Steve, while he will smash someone with an elbow or the like, tends to rely on making people fall very, very badly.

It's the old joke about "It's not the fall that will kill you, but the sudden stop at the end" In other words he more 'hits them with the earth.' He sets up that they fall in such a way they shatter or rip when they crash. The elbow smashes are more of soften the guy up/knock him to where I need him to be so he can fall down 'badly.'

Thing is what Steve does is so damned subtle that it's hard to see what's happening. That's kind of funny because he talked about his teacher moving in smaller and smaller circles until they began to look like straight lines ... and his later students started doing straight lines instead of circles. He does the same thing.  He knows range and positioning so well that it's damn near impossible to see what exactly he's doing. So it's easy to mistake things like the waiter stance as just another form of trapping.

Here's what to watch for, it's what happens AFTER the trap. Is the guy unable to attack again OR still on his feet two seconds after the trap? If he's still on his feet, then what follows the trap is the problem, not the trap. Well, okay maybe, but that's because if the guy is still up and moving, he can escape the trap ... and that means you're going to get carved because he can -- and will -- still attack.

QUESTION: I don't suppose you can point me to a video where someone does it right? I'm pretty sure I understand the concept, but I'm a visual learner and an example would be really helpful.

Answer
This is WAAAAAAY slowed down for safety, but it gives you the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpcGfnsINxI

Now insert an elbow to the throat, twisting his head around like the Exorcist and slamming him into the ground.

How you do it doesn't have to be Plinck-specific but that's the idea.

M  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung