Self Defense/Tai chi styles.

What tai chi style did you learn? What about your thoughts of the different styles; some seem to be more "combative" than others.

It was mixed with baugua at the Taoist Institute in Los Angeles. It was back before lineages were all that important.

I've sat and listened to modern players from different styles 'talk' and their conversations fly over my head. They get into some seriously microscopic details and disagreements.

As for the 'combative' it boils down to application.  Or more specifically knowing how to apply what they know.

From a technical stand point, tai chi has fantastic power generation -- potential.

From an application standpoint, I commonly find it to on par with a McDojo.

Just having the moves doesn't mean you know how to use them. The two ideas are NOT synonymous -- and if we assume so, we don't know what we're missing.

I often make the analogy that the way Tai Chi is taught is like helping someone build a race car, but not showing them how to drive it.

And that is less about the style than it is about what the teacher knows.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV