Self Defense/aggression vs technique

In a combat situation, is it more important to focus on technique and mechanics or just mentally commit to survive with straight up aggression, regardless of method?

I remember a story you told about your uncle who had some combat experience in Vietnam. I don't recall completely, but you guys had a little practice skirmish with knives and he overwhelmed you pretty aggressively. That is where my original question stems from. Is it mental or mechanical? Or some weird balance of both.

Which wing of an airplane is more important, the left one or the right one?

Answer, they both are equally important.

The commitment to survive increases your chances by giving you the will power. Not the techniques, but the physical skills they develop gives you the means.  

Means without will, useless. Will without means, just as useless.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV