Self Defense/aggression vs technique

Question
In a combat situation, is it more important to focus on technique and mechanics or just mentally commit to survive with straight up aggression, regardless of method?

I remember a story you told about your uncle who had some combat experience in Vietnam. I don't recall completely, but you guys had a little practice skirmish with knives and he overwhelmed you pretty aggressively. That is where my original question stems from. Is it mental or mechanical? Or some weird balance of both.

Answer
Which wing of an airplane is more important, the left one or the right one?

Answer, they both are equally important.

The commitment to survive increases your chances by giving you the will power. Not the techniques, but the physical skills they develop gives you the means.  

Means without will, useless. Will without means, just as useless.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung