Self Defense/Book Recommendations

I've read those books you recommended to me and I want to learn more. I like your style of suspending moral judgment in favor of understanding. You aren't trying to push an agenda or any kind of "us against them" mentality. It's very refreshing, no politics. You just give the facts and don't tell people what to think or feel.

Specifically, could you point me in the direction of books that will teach me how frog boiling and gaslighting work? I haven't heard someone use those terms before, and none of the abusers I've seen interviewed have described their behavior like that.

I realize that I've been ignorant in the past and judged people harshly, not understanding what was going on in their lives. It really tears me up inside to think that careless words to abuse victims or anyone who has been hurt could make them feel like crap all over again. You would have no idea just how bad what you said hurt them. You might never find out.

I hope you can show me something so I don't do that anymore. I want to be better and kinder to people.

Chase the links to other books on the subject.

Frog boiling

As to abuse victims, here's something to consider.  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV