Self Defense/Self defense

How do I get my certification in becoming a self-defense instructor.

*Snicker* you don't.

And if you do get one it's about as valuable and useful as toilet paper.

There is no governing body, board or commission on the subject of martial arts, much less self-defense. While there may be system specific organizations or parent organizations in other countries -- where there is government recognition -- the authority of said organization means absolutely nothing here.

More than that there is no accredited university out there giving degrees in the subject.

Basically -- and this is why there is so much shitty information out there -- anybody can hang up a shingle and claim to teach 'self-defense.' Then teach whatever they want. Their survival in the business really depends on
a) the quality of the information they provide
b) how many people they can con into believing their bullshit.

That's why so many so-called self-defense instructors are just flashes in the pan.  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV