Self Defense/Systema

Have you seen this Russian thing called Systema? Could something like that work, or is it just voodoo nonsense?

Like so many other 'systems' the answer is 'it depends on who's teaching it.'

I've met some of the voodoo boys and my reaction is "Gimme a fuckin' break. If I want that horseshit, I'll go to George Dillman or Yellow Bamboo."

I've met other players who have 'meh' body mechanics, but who spend most of their time telling you how powerful and superior Systema is to other martial arts. These guy's explanation of the mechanics of what they are doing is a joke. The Chinese 'soft styles' are better at it and have better explanations of what they are doing. (And yeah, the mechanics of Systema are a whole lot like some Chinese styles)

Conversely, I've met some Systema players who will turn you into a human pretzel and shatter you like a thrown coffee cup.

It all depends on who you meet

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV