Self Defense/about turning your back

I would like to ask a few question about backing down from a potentially violent situations.
Is this true that the natural instinct for them, when they see your back is to chase you? To become courageous and chase you, like dogs do to other dogs that go in their territory?
How do you back down from a tensed up situation, on neutral territory with strangers, because I believe that backing up to quickly, showing fear, running, or showing your back to them would invite assault. You probably know what some monkeys do to eachother when the other guy turns his back to them.
And let's suppose there are 2 possibilities: you never see them again, so if you get out of the area you're safe from them forever, second, you see them in front of your tenement/house each day, but you've never seen them before this day.
What do you think?

The answer to your first question isn't just about seeing your back ... it's how you do it.

Let me start out by saying "Overwhelmingly, violence comes with instructions how to avoid it."  

That's a simple statement, but when we're stressed and emotional, it's hard to 1) remember that, 2) follow those instructions and 3) not get stupid.

Fundamentally, legitimate instructions how to avoid violence are NOT complicated. "Shut up or I'll kick your ass" is neither complicated or degrading. It's pretty simple, stop talking or there will be violence. Overwhelmingly, these are legitimate instructions. If you stop talking shit, you won't be beaten.

However, in an emotional, adrenalized state, we just HAVE to make a comment about the guy's testicles on his mother's chin. Tell me to shut up? I'll show him!

And then people are shocked when they're assaulted.

The absolute fastest and most guaranteed way I know how to get chased is -- what I call -- "breaking the deal."

The guy tells you to leave or there will be violence. Fine, no problem. You turn and walk away and that's it. The conditions of the deal are set (leave and no violence) these conditions are being met (you're leaving).

YOU break the deal when you just have to get that last dig in. That last 'fuck you asshole!' as your turning and leaving. The same thing can be done with a "You're such a fuckin' jerk' look of disgust and contempt as you're turning away.

It has been my observation that people who get chased and beaten down -- overwhelmingly -- do this. Their egos just have to get that last dig in, they have to show their feelings and opinion about 'that asshole.'

You don't want to get your ass kicked? As you are leaving, learn to keep your mouth shut at such times. Learn how not to look at the guy like he's a piece of dogshit as you're turning away.

The second way to get attacked is to act like 'prey' in front of a pack. Looking at them in wide eyed terror, turning and bolting can -- and often will -- evoke a predatory response from a group. But that's more common when dealing with particular types of young ruffians.

Most of the time, the instructions are legitimate and they'll let you go. if you're calm and cool about withdrawing, that reduces the chances even more.

What I've just told you is incredibly important. And it's something you need to get a handle on before you worry about the next questions you asked. This is because the information I just told you is like learning to drive a car. Until you have those basic skills, you're not going to be racing cars.  

That last question is more of a racing question. Learn how to drive first  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV