Self Defense/Can aikido work against knife?

Question
Hello Mr. Quinn!
I have been studying Tangsodo in Canada for years, but I have always wondered if Aikido techniques could work against someone attacking with a knife in a street scenario.

I have visited a kapap instructor in the region who say it's garbage because all they do is thrust a single times and they're too compliant. He said that all knife attacks are really quick and if you try to grab, you'll get cut 'many times.' He also said that through pressure testing, he found that most techniques including grappling and joint locks work terribly compared to striking.

Answer
I tend to agree with your instructor fundamentally, but there is more to it than that, Most people can only perform gross motor skills like striking under the adrenal dump of a real attack. This is why basic striking has the better and perhaps best chance of being effective in real attack.

The fact is for 23 years I have trained people under adrenal stress conditions at RMCAT and most MA people have great difficulty even striking the armored assailant with real power in their fist few scenarios. But before the weekend is over they learn to control and use that adrenal dump and then they are really hitting hard and fast.

How you are conditioned to deal with the adrenal dump is more important than technique or style most often. The real thing is nothing like sparring in the dojo so many never realize this.

The few people I meet that could make Aikido technique's work in a real fight were all true masters who studied it as children and were then in their fifties. But Aikido principles are important to grasp, and not so much the specific techniques.

There are some people so big and tough that striking techniques isn't going to have much affect on them, you need to take their balance and toss them head first into a car or telephone pole or wall or floor.That is Aikido's real strength.

Self Defense

Peyton Quinn