Self Defense/Rapier fencer vs Katana bushi.

Hi Mr. Marc Macyoung. I'm currently doing a fun special history project at the moment and I'm wondering who would win? A katana samurai from the late feudal era who is dressed like ronin and not a samurai, or a rapier fencer from an European time where it was used for self protection, unlike the sabre?

Which weapon do you prefer more please? And do you think the rapier could handle multiple opponents?

Thank you.

Depending on the length of the rapier I'd say go for the ronin. That is unless the rapier was one of the ridiculously long ones (they were eventually limited to 36 inch blades)

However stack a katana against either a saber or broadsword and shield and you get different results.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV