Self Defense/Self defense training via dvd

Question
Hello. I am searching for a good self defense dvd that can show me techniques, strategy, etc.

I am preparing to move to a city where I have found a place that teaches Krav Maga and another place that teaches self defense (hand to hand combatives, unarmed vs. armed combatives, firearms training, etc.) But I won't be able to move for another 6 months or so.

While I prepare to move, I was hoping to find a dvd that can help me develop a few basic techniques/moves/strategies so I can be somewhat better prepared for the training I am going to receive.

Is there a dvd you would recommend that may help me in my in goal?

Thanks

Also, I have sent this question to another expert to get as much advice as possible. Thanks again.

Answer
Thanks for the question Lee, and best of luck on your move.

I always shy away from giving people names of DVD's when they want to train. The DVD is nothing more than a source of information, but teaches you very little. Although the info might be exciting and even practical...the only way to truly learn self defense/martial arts is to get out there and do it in person. If you don't how would you know things like:
1) Are you doing it right?
2) What are you doing wrong?
3) How does this XYZ technique work?
4) What are the proper attributes such as timing, distancing, sensitivity etc to make this work?
5) How do we modify it to make it work for YOU?
6) What should this FEEL like? Against a big person, small person, medium person?

And the list can go on and on. It'ls like becoming a pro basketball player by watching ESPN...sure you might understand the concept, the plays, the strategy or whatever...but that doesn't mean you can do it.

If you want to learn self defense...you simply have to do it in person. Stay away from the DVD's and magazines is my opinion.

But if you want to check out some videos...look for stuff from a gentlemen named Paul Vunak. I am a senior instructor under him (amongst others), and I can tell you that he is by far one of the most dangerous people in hand to hand combat that you can find.

Best of Luck, and feel free to contact me for any other questions that you might have.

Sifu Nik
www.streetsafe101.com  

Self Defense

Nik Farooqui