Self Defense/knockout game

Question
hi..i am writing to ask some of the best ways to not only survive an attack in the knockout game, but what to do from start to finish. here in miss, i have a valid gun permit but know you dont shoot anyone who is not armed. so, what kinds of suggestions would you have here? thank you!!

Answer
In Feb a Michigan man was the intended victim of the knock out game, but turned the tables and shot his attacker twice. State laws differ (and more important, the unwritten laws or "ethos" differs), but generally deadly force is recognized as justifiable to avoid death or grave bodily injury. Being the intended victim of the knock out game certainly is qualifies for fear of the latter if not the former.

The problem is that most people do not see it coming. A pistol is only a benefit if you get inside the other person's "loop" and by shooting or just showing it, interrupt his course of action.

To do this, you need to increase your reaction, and the way you do that is to increase distance. Since this "game" started, I am more diligent at night in relatively secluded places not to let people get or pass within arms distance of me. If people seem to be trying to close the gap, I'll turn, look them in the eys and forcefully say, "Back off!" This is startling for people who are not up to no good, and they immediately comply Think if you were in the parking lot of a store minding your own business and all of a sudden someone said to you "Back off!" You'd want to get far away from that person, and that's exactly the response of people who are not up to no good. Someone who continues to close the gap after you've said that to them is up to no good, and you need to take appropriate action.

What that action is depends on the situation. You may put something (like a vehicle) between yourself and the person. You may run. You may take a fighting posture. You may yell out to passers-by (real or pretend)"Call 911 now!"

About fifteen years ago I was in an empty parking lot late at night when a guy appeared out of nowhere and approached me rapidly asking me if I "wanted to by cologne." I turned and faced him and said loudly, "Get back! I don't know you." He continued to close the gap, so I repeated the commanded, taking evasive action and positioning a parked vehicle between myself and him as I did so. When he continued to advance, I repeated the command, this time clearing my covering garment and placing my hand on the grip of my pistol. He recognized the action and before it came out he took off running. Had he continued to advance, the gun would have come out and been held in a close retention position while the command was repeated. These situations are very dynamic and cannot be choreographed, but had he continued to advance at that point I likely would have shot him, and would have been on firm legal ground in doing so.

I think that in 90%+ of the cases if you keep your distance, open the gap and give verbal commands, your likelihood of being a victim will decrease dramatically, and if you do have to use force you will be able to articulate (to your lawyer - speaking to the police is a bad idea after such an event) why you did what you did.

Finally, consider carrying a strong pepper spray such as the one from Fox Labs. If the only tool someone has is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail. Put more tools in your box other than the gun. It's hard to predict how things may go if you shot someone who closed the gap after  you commanded him to back off, but if after such a command and retreat on your part you hosed a guy down with pepper spray, the consequences, if any at all, would be minimal.

Stay safe.

Self Defense

GCH