Self Defense/Roundhouse kick and back kick effectiveness in a "street fight"

The title pretty much says it all. I am referring to the TKD variation of the kicks, and wondering how useful they are in a street fight.

That'd be like asking how useful is a screwdriver in building a house :) If you go into the fight specifically trying to make those kicks work, they won't be any good at all. But if you're so good at them that you can deliver them in that split second an opening is given to you, then they're super effective.
Any move or stance is just tools in your toolbox, it's up to you to learn when to use them and how to decide "when" is half the battle won.
Use the wrong tool at the wrong time, then things get broken- in a fight, that means you.
The more tools you have, the more prepared you'd be, but that also means the more complicated that final decision can be.

Self Defense

Johnny St. Tai

With over 20 years in the Martial Art and combat circle, I can tell you how to train, what to do or not to do in a self defense situation. My trainings included unarmed and weapons, so I can also answer weapon-related questions. I will and can not answer/give legal advice since the law differs from place to place. If you are seeking answers regarding legality issues, best find a lawyer.

20+ years in various Martial Arts and combat trainings. - Brown belt in triditional Tae Kwon Do- trained from age 7 to age 12. - Basic Judo training- half a year at age 12. - Visited Thailand at 13, train in the Muay Sangha branch of Muay Thai kickboxing for half a year. - Joined the Taiwanese Military School's teen training at 14- completed the nine month training including knife fighting, long and short firearms, field-survival and close quarter combat. - Basic Taichi training at 15, also trained in the Southern King Cobra Kun Fu and the Iron Mantis Kung Fu. - Mixed fancing training from 15 to 17, including Epee, Sabre, cavalry, and Iaijutsu. - Achieved Brown belt in Shorin Ryu Karate- trained from 16 to 18. - Achieved Master level Counterattack training- from 18 to 23 and have been teaching it since. - Started recreational boxing at 24, and Yang Style Taichi Sabre fighting at 28. - Currently training in Krav Maga- aiming for instructor license. - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training currently in progress. - Over 100 Mixed Martial Arts matches won, 28 losses. - Thwarted six attempted robberies. - Various street and real combat experience.

Richmond Martial Art

Master Level Counterattack Self Defense, Advanced Weapon Training, a year with the military, brown belt in Shorin Ryu Karate and Tae Kwon Do.

Over 50 students.