Self Defense/boxing muay thai

QUESTION: Is boxing a prerequisite to muay thai? I woukd like to start training for fighting for self defenselast resort ofcourse but where shoukd i start a gym seems obviously better to an instructional dvdalthough i know theses mma gyms are pricey can you shed some.light on this? Also first things forat i guess what lind of gear should i invest in to start with and maybe training regimen?

ANSWER: Muay Thai and boxing arne't related. You can do one without the other. Running, skipping ropes are good starting training tools.
Find a good gym and try it, some of them offer free trial sessions.
Most important gear:
gloves, mouthguard, helmet, groincup, then shin/foot pads for muay thai and forearm/elbow pads...don't need those pads for boxing.

QUESTION: Any particular brands for this gear? And also mitts and handwraps too? Also what is the goal and best way of going about sparring?

For beginning, invest in cheaper gear around $20-30 range till you're sure you'll be doing it for a long time.
Doesn't really matter on brand, just don't go for the expensive stuffs.
Wraps aren't strictly needed, but you definitely need gloves and punching pads if you want to do padworks.
For sparring, focus on staying power, don't worry about how hard you hit or how good you should be, focus on staying in the game long as you can, keep moving, watch your forms.
Also it's important to learn to take hits, so let your partner hit you while you defend is good training.

Self Defense

Johnny St. Tai

With over 20 years in the Martial Art and combat circle, I can tell you how to train, what to do or not to do in a self defense situation. My trainings included unarmed and weapons, so I can also answer weapon-related questions. I will and can not answer/give legal advice since the law differs from place to place. If you are seeking answers regarding legality issues, best find a lawyer.

20+ years in various Martial Arts and combat trainings. - Brown belt in triditional Tae Kwon Do- trained from age 7 to age 12. - Basic Judo training- half a year at age 12. - Visited Thailand at 13, train in the Muay Sangha branch of Muay Thai kickboxing for half a year. - Joined the Taiwanese Military School's teen training at 14- completed the nine month training including knife fighting, long and short firearms, field-survival and close quarter combat. - Basic Taichi training at 15, also trained in the Southern King Cobra Kun Fu and the Iron Mantis Kung Fu. - Mixed fancing training from 15 to 17, including Epee, Sabre, cavalry, and Iaijutsu. - Achieved Brown belt in Shorin Ryu Karate- trained from 16 to 18. - Achieved Master level Counterattack training- from 18 to 23 and have been teaching it since. - Started recreational boxing at 24, and Yang Style Taichi Sabre fighting at 28. - Currently training in Krav Maga- aiming for instructor license. - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training currently in progress. - Over 100 Mixed Martial Arts matches won, 28 losses. - Thwarted six attempted robberies. - Various street and real combat experience.

Richmond Martial Art

Master Level Counterattack Self Defense, Advanced Weapon Training, a year with the military, brown belt in Shorin Ryu Karate and Tae Kwon Do.

Over 50 students.