Self Defense/None

In martial arts or combat, is being tall an advantage? I think a tall person is by no means, as agile as a short person plus a tall person is not necessarily stronger than a short person.

1. What are the advantages of being tall over short?

2. Which martial art is best to stop a fight with minimum effort and maximum effect?

3. In kicking styles, we have Teakwondo, Savate and capoera. But other than boxing, which martial art is about punching?

4. Which martial art is the most acrobatic?

In martial arts as in life there are no absolutes.  Some tall people can be as nimble and agile as a shorter person.  The reverse is true as well.  It comes down to physical conditioning and training of the individual.  To your questions then:    

1. The advantages are extended reach and range with possibly stronger impact from strikes from the hands, arms, and legs.

2. Without being elusive the best martial art to stop a fight with minimum effort and maximum effect is Dr. George Thompson's Verbal Judo.  Dr. Thompson came to the realization that a person's most dangerous weapon is a "cocked tongue."  Verbally, if you can deescalate a situation by talking an assailant into inaction that would represent maximum effect with minimum effort.  It terms of physical self-defense a reality based martial art like Krav Maga which prepares the practitioner to defend against explosive real life encounters would be my suggestion.  

3. Outside of boxing, Shotokan Karate and especially Shaolin Kung-Fu are great punching styles.  Shaolin Kung-Fu employs many punches and fists which can be used to great effect in offense or defense against an opponent.  Shaolin Kung-Fu would be my choice.  

4. Most traditional martial arts have demonstration teams who practice choreography to show how fluid and beautiful their chosen style is.  This is done with katas or forms, weapons, and even demonstrations of strength, flexibility and acrobatics.  I have witnessed wonderful demonstrations of prowess from karate and kung-fu practitioners.  The most acrobatic that I have personally seen though is through the style of Tae Kwon Do.          

QUESTION: Hello again,

I want to be a martial artist but I've never seriously worked out before, so do you have any advice that how should I start working out? Plus if you can give me links to E books, it would also be welcome.

How can one have a durable body? I mean the type of physique which is combat friendly and has a higher pain and damage threshold?

How much should I train everyday to be a formidable fighter (kickboxer)within 3.5 months?

I would start by simply doing push-ups, sit-ups, and beginning to jog and then run.  You must build your muscle mass and strength in order to have a good working and flexible physique for martial arts practice, exhibition, and perhaps real use.  Not knowing where you are at right now as a baseline to your physique it is hard for me to recommend how much you should train.  However, if you are giving yourself 3.5 months you must train for at least 6-8 hours per day with breaks in-between.  3.5 months is not a very long time to build yourself up for fighting.  The more you expose yourself to pain the more you will be able to resist it.  Do not do anything crazy like damaging your body to absorb pain.  Try safely contacting with solid objects with your fists and legs during punches/strikes and kicks/strikes.  Think of slowly striking a tree.  You want to do it so that you build up callouses to minimize pain.  However, it has to be done properly and safely.  See link for free guides on-line:  

Self Defense

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding mixed martial arts (MMA) styles and traditional aspects of Karate, Tae Kwon-Do, and Self-Defense.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL. Defensive & control tactics instructor training LEO's, private citizens, and corporations since 1997. Shodan rank (1st Dan) in Karate(1st Degree Black Belt).

Serves on the Board of Directors for the National Institute of Martial Arts Scholars with Dr. John Landry:

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.