Self Defense/Physical training for police officer?

Hello. I am currently working as a street patrol police officer in Scotland where firearm is not a part of our equipment. There are lots of violent situations I encountered so far (druggies, illegally owned switchblades) and despite good conflict resolve and diplomatic training our department offers (which solved most cases); I feel I am lacking in any physical responses other than to just pounce on a suspect with several police officers which is no longer a possibility since our department cut off staffs.

I am interested in getting some physical training but I am afraid that I will end with with something very similar to this scenario:

I know that itís a bit of an extreme example but as someone who really has no idea about staying safe in a physical altercation other than swinging fists, I find myself quite confused on getting the right training.

There's a friend of mine named Martin Cooper (International Police Defensive Tactics Association). He was a copper in UK for years before he retired

Linked in

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV