Self Defense/Question about krav maga and Tai Chi

I've read your article about Krav Maga,and I would like to ask if you could point to a sample instructor who teaches this bone breaking version of Krav that you speak of? (If you could give a link to a youtube channel or a DVD made by said instructor,that would be great)

With Karate,I believe you gave the name "Iain Abernethy",I found videos of him on youtube and I'm glad I'm able to see the physically effective version of the karate system that I used to look at with disdain.

Most Krav that I see is nothing more but watered down versions of MMA training but with weapon disarms(which may or may not be legit)thrown in,and according to your article,it seems your observation is the same.

As for Tai Chi,here's 2 street fight videos:

Do these 2 videos represent what you mean when Tai Chi is taught as an effective system?

If possible,could you pls give an instructor like I asked for Krav Maga? I know you can't learn a martial arts system from videos but the reason I ask for them is so that If I ever get around to giving those systems a shot,I would know what to look for. even if I don't ever get to it,I'd still like to be enlightened.

Tai Chi has sparked a bit of interest in me,because my 2 reasons for looking into the martial arts is both learning effective movement and for health benefits(I've read your 4 focuses of martial arts article)and it seems Tai Chi accomplishes both goals. It can be argued that Boxing and BJJ offer these as well but then I've read many stories of BJJ practitioners succumbing to wear and tear later in life and all those nasty injuries they've accumulated during training(one of the supposed benefits of grappling is being able to go 100% in sparring without worry of injury,now I know this is not true at all) and we already know all about the brain damage long-time boxers end up with.

Unfortunately, instructors who are teaching combat-effective Krav outside the Israeli military are like the Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat. We know they're out there, they're just incredibly hard to find because they're so rare. That's because most people who went through that kind of stuff are quiet professionals. So that tells you what about the guys who are banging the drum about what they can teach you...?

Yeah the first video shows what someone getting nailed with effective movement looks like. What does effective movement look like? It's hard to see both because the camera doesn't show it well and it's small (often just a matter of inches).

Here's a page about what I call the "LAC test" (Lost, Added, Context)

I will give you two standards to look for.

1- The process works before the end of the move.

Think of a karate block. First many people think that a karate block is too slow to stop a boxer's hit. Not true. Well excuse me, it shouldn't be true, but it is because of what most people think a karate block is. Most people think the block is the end pose. It's not. Most people think the actions before the arm gets into that pose are wind up. They're not.

A 'heavy block' (that end pose) is too slow to stop a fast jab. That's why what people who think that 'extra' hand movement is a wind up get punched. That's not a wind up, it's fast parrying action to handle a fast jab, while the heavier block is on it's way to guarantee the hit doesn't land. Or if the parry works, that heavier action can turn offensive and twist the guy up (it's not a hit like some people say, but it IS an offensive move). Conversely, the lighter parry can't stop a heavier blow, but it can slow it down for the heavier block to get there in time. That combined with moving off line will keep you safe against both fast and powerful blows.  

There is lots of stuff going on before the end pose. Things start working before then. There isn't - as I like to mimic -- "Ohhh when this gets there you're going to be in so much trouuuuble!"  Things start going wrong for the attacker before the finish.

Yeah, it's IN the kind of karate that Iain teaches. But it's been lost from most systems.

2- The instructor can explain/demon both the mechanics and the process

Look what I just did there with a simple block. I broke apart the move and explained the pieces and how they work. It wasn't just a 'do it this way.' There were identifiable and understandable reasons WHY you did it this way and why it worked.

You'll also find that good instructors will both understand the mechanics AND be able to tweak them for different body types and skill levels.

I have a friend who had a 9th degree master come by and give a seminar to black belts. He stopped the whole show and chewed them out by saying 1st degrees are moving the same as 4th degree black belts. NO! The 4th degrees should be more refined in their movement!"

There are no magic and secret hidden techniques that are waiting for you after 5 years of study. What he is teaching you should work NOW and only work better with practice. If it doesn't work now. Something is wrong with either what he is teaching or how he is teaching it.

It's not the technique that works. It's you making the technique work. And the instructor had better be giving you all the parts.  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV