Self Defense/Bullies and A-holes

I've read you assessment about Alpha and Beta behavior. What I want to know is why do people believe being a jerk is "Alpha" behavior? It seems to run contrary to what you said about what being a leader is about[Helping people and getting things done]. I've been around people in positions of power and they often come off as bullies. I mean bullies are weak people, right? How come so many of them seem to get what they want [The girls and the power] is what I'm saying?

-Frustrated Nice Guy

Some years ago I was asked if there was anything I regretted writing. Yes, the alpha/beta stuff.

He's a more accurate introduction to wolf-pack social dynamics

Fact is the alpha is a leader, the beta is a thug. The beta is an enforcer,protector and the most expendable.  There are other named positions that do an important service.

The bullies you are thinking of might actually be betas. However, commonly people try to ape that behavior because that's what they think leadership is.

As to bullies being weak people... that's a lie people tell themselves so they can still feel superior to the bullies. Don't believe it.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV