Self Defense/Finding application in the confines of MA?

Hello sir, thanks for your time.

I have heard that you stated common martial arts e.g. karate, judo, aikido, kung fu etc are not self defense and I strongly feel you're right.

I feel martial arts are great at what they do to fulfil their style's philosophical mechanics perfectly, e.g. BJJ does what it does and rolls people on the ground with no woo-woo training, karate is great at striking someone with speed and power, aikido is really fluid and efficient with timing, boxing are the best punchers etc...

Yet despite functional body mechanics, some of the context are not perhaps useful in all situations. e.g. BJJ is not suitable as first resort, commercial karate is weak at grappling or weapon work, some joint locks aren't for non-restraint situations and boxing punches has risks of fractures etc.

I am curious as to how to evaluate a martial art to find the biomechanics and concepts that are designed for real life combat while separating the ones that works for sport or is more of a physical poetry for traditionalism's sake than combat, so that perhaps I can take the ones that works to a reality training program such as yours.

Do I use common sense? Read on assault patterns and what works for bouncers, LEOs?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you."

armored assailant scenario based traing @ RMCAT
armored assailant scen  
It is always the individual fighter rather than the art that makes their self-defense effective.Nothing that occurs in a prize ring is a real fight. The big challenge in an actual fight is the adrenal stress factor. This creates 1-Tunnel Vision 2-Loss of Fine Motor Control and Tachi Psychi.

Hence  many MA people who do not train with this adrenal stress element have little access to their training in real fight. This is why I developed scenario based, armored assailant training and it has certainly proven itself effective. But after 30 years of it I am retiring RMCAT and Stresshooting.

There are many imitators of RMCAT now i.E Impact, Model Mugging etc. But their quality varies a great deal as does the experience and motives of the owners and instructors.Most of these schools allow a person to see the Graduation Fights. Find one and go to that Graduation Fight. It is meant to promote the business of course. But you will see for yourself if they are turning out decent fighters or not.

Also real self-defense can't just be about techniques, there isn't much technique in real fights or 'back and forth' action like you see in movies or sparring or a tournament. The person who lands the first telling blow and presses the initiative never giving the enemy a chance to recover will most always prevail.

Your most important SD skills are not physical, they mental AWARENESS, AVOIDANCE and knowing the ways of the human predators and how to deescalate a situation. I hope this helps.

Self Defense

Peyton Quinn

I can answer questions on actual self-defense for today’s world and contrast the very critical difference between ‘martial arts training’ and actual comprehensive self-defense training. In particular, I have 24 years of experience training people to deal effectively and employ productively the adrenal stress reaction, which is the only thing one can really count on in a true self-defense emergency. I also worked as ‘bouncer” and “cooler” in the seventies and my knowledge is not theoretical but experiential. While my primary experience is in “hand to hand” fighting and training people in this skill, In addition I was employed by a major industry player to conduct terminal ballistic tests on all handgun calibers of all manufacturers and their bullet designs to determine their effectiveness in ‘stopping power”. I have no axes to grind in this field and I just call it as I see it from actual experience and over eight hundred shooting cases I researched in conjunction with my contract to evaluate terminal ballistics (stopping power of handgun loads and calibers)

Black Belt Magazine called my RMCAT program “The best short term self-defense program existent”. This was unprecedented in their 40 years of publishing their magazine and this followed their year long study of “reality based self-defense programs”. My program is based on adrenal stress conditioning thorough scenario based training and fight scenarios using specially armored assailants that allows absolute full contact to head and groin areas. I have been instructing this training with my staff for 22 years at present. I am a member of the Black Belt Hall of Fame and was named “Self-Defense Instructor of the Year in 2008 by Black Belt Magazine. I have advanced rank in Wado Ryu Karate, Judo, Aikido and Wing Chung Gung Fu. I also have experience in other martial arts, but I recognize that martial arts training is not true and comprehensive self-defense training for today’s world. I have instructed firearms training for self-defense for over 20 years and I once ran a liquor store where I was forced to employ firearms for my own survival. I have degrees in mathematics, Psychology and Education from my studies at The university of Colorado and the University of Texas. I have very strong knowledge of terminal ballistics of handguns from my employment in this field to determine the stopping power of handgun loads from both ballistic gelatin tests and actual case studies of shootings. I continue to instruct firearms for self-defense through scenario based training as I have for many years now.

I have written serval books, the most relevant on the topic of self-defense and martial art being “ A Bouncer’s Guide to Barroom Brawling’ many feel this book changed the Martial Arts industry, and Real Fighting : Adrenal Stress Conditioning Through Scenario Based Training. This last book was named one of the best books ever written on self-defense by Black Belt Magazine along with Mushashi’s “Book of Five Rings” and Bruce Lee’s Tao of Jeet Kung Do”. My articles have appeared in Black Belt Magazine, Inside Knug Fu, and The National Association of Professional Martial Artist (NAPMA) where I have a monthly column called “Reality Check”. I have other publications dealing with the effect od the adrenal reaction on learning and memory among these “Freedom From Fear: Taking back control of Your life and Dissolving Depression”. I also have written on the relationship between the adrenal complex and the biochemistry of PTSD.

Bachelor of Science: Psychology Bachelor of Arts: Mathematics Certified Secondary School Education: Mathematics Black Belts in Karate, Judo Fukishidoan rank (Shodan level Black Belt) in Aikido Graduate of Lethal Force Institute

Black Belt Hall of Fame Member Self-Defense Instructor of the Year 2008 My book “Real Fighting: Adrenal Stress Conditioning Through Scenario Based Training “ was named one of the five best books ever written on self-defense and martial arts by Black Belt Magazine. In 1973 my software program’ Software development of the Sheldon Domain” a pattern recognition algorithm was awarded 2nd place by the IEEE society

IBM,Philco Ford, Wells Fargo and several security related firms.