• Home
  • Recreation/Outdoors
  • Martial Arts
  • Self Defense
  • Did martial arts (particularly the popular Eastern Asian styles like TKD, Karate, Kung Fu ) really originated from India? If so, why aren't Indian martial arts as huge as East Asian styles?

Self Defense/Did martial arts (particularly the popular Eastern Asian styles like TKD, Karate, Kung Fu ) really originated from India? If so, why aren't Indian martial arts as huge as East Asian styles?

Question
One of the biggest lores that exist in the martial arts world today is the belief that martial arts originated from India and spread to China via traveling monks.

Anyway thats the popularly accepted belief in the West specifically among practitioners of karate in North America and I can't tell you how many so called black belts spread that notion.

I am curious how true is this?

I already know that the fact the West once had schools of swordsmanship and wrestling and so forte so that alone puts hinges of discreditably towards the theory.

But I am curious for East Asian styles that gain huge popularity in the West such as TKD. Is it in any way an accurate statement that India is the birth origin of those styles (or at least a huge source of influence for the fundamentals if local styles already existed)?

If there is a grain of truth to the statement, I often wondered why Indian martial arts NEVER became huge in the West especially in the United States? You'd think with such claims being made someone from India would try to export a local style and create schools in the West to milk cash from the Western enthusiasm for East Asian styles. I mean even if the notion that India is the originator is BS, considering the public's belief and guilibility with McDojos ripping everyone off I'm flabbergasted no one tried to bring Indian styles here.

Answer
myth
miTH/
noun
noun: myth; plural noun: myths

1.
   a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
   synonyms:   folk tale, folk story, legend, tale, story, fable, saga, mythos, lore, folklore, mythology
   "ancient Greek myths"
       traditional stories or legends collectively.
       "the heroes of Greek myth"
   2.
   a widely held but false belief or idea.
   "he wants to dispel the myth that sea kayaking is too risky or too strenuous"

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung