Self Defense/How effective is hard KO power against knives, guns, and other weapons?

Watched the Godfather Part 3 today.

As the scene shows, Vincent easily disarmed his attacker after punching him very hard multiple times.

While he didn't KO the first mook, he repeats a cliche shown so many times in TV and movies. That someone easily defeats an armed attacker with several punches or kicks and disarms the attacker, if not just flatout KOing the villain with the first blow and camera angles ending the fight showing the villain fall to the ground (and at this point the villain is KOd so badly he is asleep and the hero doesn't even bother taking the weapon and removing it because he's confident mr. badguy ain't waking up soon).

This cliche of "hurting the enemy so bad he won't be able to hit you" has become so dominant in the general public's eyes that many people try to develop hard hitting striking power specifically so that if they encounter a mugger with a gun or get attacked out of nowhere by a thug, they'll easily KNOCK out the guy with uppercuts or knees or frontal kicksbefore they can even pull the trigger or place his blade on your neck.

How effective is this? I'm not lying so many people in the RBSD and martial arts world are looking for this "one hit KOing power" using SPORT punching and kicking techniques should they face a mugger. FUCK we're not just talking about "sport punching" a lot of these guys are specifically learning BOXING punches (especially hooks and uppercuts) because they believe if they have the power of George Foreman any thug will go down before they can land a blow on your with thier knife or pull the trigger.

Vincent starts his attack with an uppercut than follows with a left hook or uppercut (camera angles is too covered by the mook to see the punch) and than grabs the enemy and pins him to the doorway.

In real life how would such a tactic turn out? I mean the moment the first uppercut landed the mook was so hurt he literally just stood there in pain as Vincent followed up with his attack.

Also rather than using an uppercut to start the attack, what would have been a more realistic option?

It's not. Trying to 'fight' an armed person is the fastest way I know to get killed or hospitalized.

Entirely too many people teach 'neutralize the weapon arm and then try to beat the shit out of someone for pulling a weapon on you.'

That doesn't work because ... hey, all to often you lose control of that arm as your hitting the guy. That leaves you right there in range against a weapon that you aren't in control of -- and he's even more pissed because you punched him.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV