Self Defense/Question about wannabe gangbangers, real badasses, and sexual violation

Question
OK I'm expecting a "This is out of my expertise" response but I have to ask this because what so many people think are real badasses (especially gangsters) is getting so cartoony. Its also because male rape has become so synonymous with prison and my research sort of contradicts the narrative.

I've been watching documentaries such as Gangland and to my shock in addition to the cliché murders, beatings, shootings, etc they actually mentioned some male victims getting anally raped. OUTSIDE OF PRISON and in the urban areas.

However I am only judging it based on Gangland and other documentaries but I did see tidbits ebooks featured for preview on Googlebooks that describe real gangs sodomizing male victims OUTSIDE of prison including in public areas and private homes. Hell even if they don't choose sodomy to attack someone, they sure as hell will force oral sex or play with their victims' cock and other unbelievable things according to the previews I read.

Now I am curious because this shocks the narrative about gangsters. I cannot tell you how many guys posing as gangbangers yell out about shootings, murdering, graffitis, and beating up hordes of other gangbangers or cops. But I HAVE yet to hear someone boasting about raping males or that stuff. In fact the braggarts who claim to be street gangs would either just shut up or simply criticize male rape as for faggots in prison who can't get bitches or make some joke about rape (often related to prison). As though it reveals both the Elephant in the Room about street violence and ganglife as well as immediately shows their stories are BS.

But since I'm new to the topic, I am wondering if sodomy and other sexual assault towards male victims are common daily stuff in the street life and if real badass will have experiences relating to it (even doing it themselves to victims)? Because even though the documentaries I watched featured it, most nonfictional stuff (not just documentaries but books,etc) often neglect male rape as a topic.

In fact the books I saw on Googlebooks are hard academic studies not commonly available to the public (they cost several hundred dollars) as are most of the documentaries I watched are obscure (and endorsed by government agencies including police with the exception of Gangland). Most TV documentaries available on mainstream public channels (TLC, History Channel, Discovery Channel, and the like) on gangs seem to carefully avoid the subject of male sexual assault unless its primarily concerned about prison life.

So I am curious if this is an unsurprising fact to genuine badasses? Have you ever knew any street rat who's been victimized sexually (or have you ever been a victim yourself or done sexual assault on an opponent of yours)? How common is it outside prison for the criminal and streetrat life from your experience?

The way "nonfictional" and "educational" TV documentaries and books about ganglife show it is almost as though they are trying to create a narrative that male rape only frequently happens in prison and are trying to reinforce wannabe gangbanger's perception of street violence.

(I understand if you won't answer because I referenced Gangland. Sorry I had to put it in because its what inspired me to search other documentaries and attempt research. But if it violates your rules I'll try to modify the question to removing the documentary references).

Answer
First sorry for the delay, I was in CA teaching all last week and I'm catching up.

Second as for a possible 'outside my expertise' response ... it's fucked up.

See you got a massively complex situation that the people who are claiming to be subject matter experts, well ... to put it mildly ... they have their head up their asses. Often what they 'think' they 'know' makes me respond with a parrot voice "Awk! Polly want a cliche!"

I'm sorry but you can't meaningfully reduce such a vast complex subject into soundbites that "Explain everything." That's part one of what they're doing when they say shit like "Rape is a woman's issue" or "Rape is about power and control." Part two of what they are doing is telling you is to shut up. They know it, you don't, so you have to listen to them because only they know the subject.

This includes ignoring the issue of male rape. First and foremost, by women onto men. Then women on women. Then after jumping that particular grand canyon getting to male on male rape. What's truly fucked up is the term 'rape culture' was originally a term that applied to specific situations ONLY -- including prisons.

Rape as a terror tool is well known. But I'm talking about Serbia and Croatia level stuff -- where you come into a village, kill the men, rape the women first, slit their throats and throw their bodies into the river so they float down river to the next few villages. Where you break a guy's jaw so he can't bit your dick as you face fuck him in front other male prisoners before you execute him. Do the same to the next six guys and let the last guy escape to carry the tale. These terror tactics go WAY beyond what college rape crisis advocates are going on about because this kind of treatment is a message of 'what will happen to your women if you leave your village to fight us' ... and maybe you too.

That's what I mean when I talk about a 'rape culture.'

So when you're talking about slit throats and throwing bodies into the river so it will float past villages and broken jaws before you shoot them ... sticking a dick into someone is only a small part of the process. It's kind of the icing on the cake of when bad shit is going down, not the piece de resistance.

On the other hand, rape as a form of educational beat down is not exactly uncommon in certain environments. It's very much a way beat down someone (usually without killing or maiming them) to show them their 'place' and to send a message to other people, don't cross these people. And, most importantly DON'T betray them -- because that often results in a special example being made out of you. Now straight up, most these little punk wanna be motherfuckers need to learn this do not fuck with or betray lesson and -- because they are so thick headed -- it has to be this level of horrible.

Yet they -- thinking this is a sign of being a bad ass -- can turn around and start aping the same behavior. So instead of it being a particularly horrible punishment reserved for only the worst offenses, they can start doing it thinking it shows how ruff n' tuff it proves them to be. It's only one of the many violent abuses they heap onto people. Does that make them rapists or is rape just one of the many services they offer?

Then you get the fuckers who just enjoy it.

So there's a scale of ugly. Your question, doesn't cover enough ground to get the whole picture, but it isn't specific enough. Yes there are small microgroups and individuals who thinks it makes them a bad ass. There is a wider scope, and then there are atrocities beyond what you can imagine.  

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung