Self Defense/How do you block punches without gloves while avoidng injuries from blows?

Question
I'm reading a biography on George Foreman and I just literally shit in my pants when I read that several top contenders he fought during his first career quickly got their arms broken within the first round and had to forfeit. When I finally watched the fights on youtube, I saw most of the punches Foreman threw were blocked by using BOXING GLOVES. Yet despite that they still lost because their arms broke and they can't guard themselves any longer.

If even wearing gloves and blocking them doesn't prevent broken arms from hard punchers, how do you block without getting injured?

Specifically I don't mean PARRY, I mean block as in you simply cover yourself in places you accurate predict and let the blows land on your arms (or part of the gloves if you're ringfighting). No movements, your arms or hands are just stationary. As in the techniques they are using to defend themselves in the two videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MykTp3b1cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBQHP0eY-g

Do properly trained martial artists condition their arms to withstand blows when they block stationary style as seen in the video above? I mean to read about Foreman breaking arms protected by gloves and seeing it live makes me wonder how valid this technique is.

Because martial arts schools are now adopting this "stationary blocks" and "cover up" defense seen in boxing because they see traditional blocks as ineffective.

But I am wondering if the boxing style blocks are just as terrible to use in street defense? Or is taking a blow to the arm as your cover up instinctively like a turtle in its shell or moving a single whole arm to a location you predict will be hit a legit thing?

What car parts have been removed? Would you have to grow big biceps and condition your arms to being hit by baseball bats to be able to block hard hits without getting your arm broken if you block in boxing's stationary arm method or alternatively by the cover up style?

Answer
Do you have $2.99?  

Go to Amazon and order the e-book, "Writing Violence: Defense"

I wrote it for writers, but also to combat the complete and total stupidity and BS that is taught out there about 'defense.' (It will also explain what was going on that caused those breaks -- other than Foreman was a frickin' nightmare to fight.)

A common term we use is good, better, best.  But that is only applicable when you have something that works.

When it comes to stuff that either doesn't work, occasionally works, only works for specific stuff, and 'it's a total crap shoot if it will work' you get:

Flat out doesn't work.
Sucks hard
Damage control
Really wish there was a better option, but it's all I got time for
Sucks less hard
Metzah metzah
Best of bad options
Yeah, it's okay

And this BEFORE you get to good, better, best.

Look at that list again. Covering, rolling and shedding are things that I put into damage control, all I got time for, etc. And they are ALL for situations where you don't have time for blocking or a blow blasts through you defenses.

Do you want to guess what I think about instructors teaching -- what is to me a "You dun fucked up and this is how to limit the suck" -- as primary defenses to their students? Covering, taking a punch,and rolling with it as best you can? That's what you do when all else fails. Not as your primary defensive action

Something else you should know, when it comes to defensive action I put 'blocks' on the bottom of the good better best pile. And that's rolling with the force after you've blocked. Yeah, you blocked, but you're not in a good position to counter attack. That's why you

But that's not how most people try to do them. They instead try and act like a fence post that someone is swinging a baseball bat at. They don't just stand there, they root. That's a good way to get a broken arm.

You need to understand the mechanics of force delivery to get why the cover up and take it is so incredibly stupid. At least cover and roll

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung