Self Defense/"Real Kung Fu Master"

QUESTION: On this video does any of the "Kung Fu" guy's technniques look like they would be effective for self defense? If so can I know which ones?

ANSWER: Actually he's REALLY slowing down for the camera. Done at speed a lot of those things would cause serious damage.

The question isn't if they would work. The question is would you be charged for excessive force for doing them?

The answer to that is 'It depends on the level of threat you were facing.' Doing a lot of that stuff against a dude attacking you with a knife could be legally covered and justified. But against a drunk? No.

Or, if you participated in the creation and escalation of the conflict, you'll be charged with aggravated assault. (Self-defense is legal, fighting isn't) You didn't see it because he was stopping, but a lot of the stuff he was doing stopped before throwing the guy down onto his head. That's the bald dude was developing.

When you get to that level, the problem isn't if it works. The problem is you're going to cause so much damage, you'd better be able to justify it beyond 'It was self-defense'  You'll need to explain WHY you HAD to use that much force.

Oh and BTW, there's a difference between just hopping around and knowing how to position yourself in a location and way that same hopping and wiggling will trash someone. There's a lot of hoppers out there. People who are supposedly teaching these styles and moves, but don't know how to apply them. Look how the bald guy moved to certain places. That's what would have allowed him to wipe the other guy out had he been moving at speed.

QUESTION: Is it possible to "lessen" the brutality of this techniques and apply them in a less lethal situation? Apply them in such a way so that they don't kill or incapacitate an attacker?

Other than that based on the video would you say that the bald dude is the real deal? Or looks like he knows what he is doing?

Get your pencil, we're going to do some math.

Let's say that in order for a move to work - and by that I mean it has the necessary component parts, not if the guy counters it or can tough through it -- it has to have three components.

The equivalent would be for a car to run it has to have an engine, drive train and gas. Without those, the car won't run.

To scale a move to do minimum damage you ONLY do those three things. This is what I refer to as a "Drunken Uncle Albert at a family reunion move." Because of the three elements the move will still work, but it's less likely to cause damage.

More force -- and by extension the likelihood of causing damage-- is not, I repeat NOT, a matter of just doing it harder and faster. It is a matter of addition.

Things that up the level of force and likelihood of causing damage are additional components you put in. So now instead of doing three things, you're actually doing five.

To create maximum damage you keep on adding (let's say to a total of nine). Two of which are speed and increased force.

So a move with three components can be done slowly and minimum force to prevent injury. Those three components with mixed some more will hurt (hopefully enough to stop the attacker). But those same three mixed with many more will shatter bones and likely kill.

So the answer to your question is a question. "How much you add or subtract?" Do you go for three or do you go for nine?  The answer is it depends on the situation.

The bald dude knew what he was doing. He in fact, was stopping himself at 2.5. But he definitely had those components -- including the ability to add more components

Here's something else. It's when you add the components that the other person's ability to resist (counter) or suck up the move diminishes. I mean drops like a paralyzed buzzard.

What most people think about a move 'not working' is because when they should have done 5, they couldn't even muster 1.5. Then you get the extra problem of the guy countering or being able to take the pain. These are both why things fail.

So you have to ask did you do the move with all the necessary components or did he counter? These are two completely different reasons for something not working. But one you can do something about.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV