Self Defense/Follow up on usefulness of boxing, muay thai etc..

Thanks Marc, for your previous answer. It was enlightening and really changed the ways I thought about forms.
Based on what you wrote, may I confirm that what you mean is that thereís no usefulness whatsoever of a striking based combat sport outside the ring and almost anything you learn in them gets you killed in a dangerous situation? If yes I apologise for the elaborations below.
I admit I may have made my previous question a bit unclear. To elaborate, what I meant was if thereís any aspect of body mechanics for example evasive footwork in boxing or sweeps in Thai boxing etc that are somewhat useful in a non-sport context or at least partially satisfies the requirements for effective movement? I understand that a non-sport martial art can be complete and there will be applications for even what is perceived as most useless but finding such instructor would be more of a privilege than common, so I was thinking of starting the toolbox with something if I canít find a perfect karate school and get the full tool box straight away.
The source that triggered this curiosity was this video of a guard who seemingly has practiced boxing. Even though he doesnít appear to use sophisticated techniques seen in some traditional styles like aikido or certain RBSD schools, he seemed to be hanging okay after this assault. Granted, if one of the men had knives or weapons or the group was more organised they could take him or if one of them bear-hugged him the karate kata would be lifesaving:

What would be your comments about this incident?

In addition, thanks for your point about legality as I am about to head into security work and I will check with the laws of my region and my supervisors for what is acceptable.

the answer is 48

Now as long as the questions are
What's 6 x 8?
What's 24 + 24?
What's 50 - 2?

Then 48 is the answer.

Here's the problem. Using the same variables but ordered differently
6 x 24 is NOT 48
24 + 2 is NOT 48
50 - 8 is NOT 48

The answer is boxing. Now as long as the circumstances are...

What is 'effective' in the street can be summed up as: You gotta learn how to do the math.

The solution isn't 'the answer.' (whether 48 or boxing) The solution is being able to assess, react and adapt to the situation you find yourself in. That is not found in any one 'system.' It's not found in any one answer. It's the ability to 'do the math' on the spot and come up with an answer that works for the circumstances. Circumstances and variables you WON'T be able to predict until you're standing there.

That is why the 'learn to do the math' answer is the only one that even comes to being close to true and accurate.

Yes, boxing will teach you how to punch
So when it's time for a punch, you can do it well.
Yes, grappling will teach how to operate on the ground
So when it's time for wrestling, you can do it well.
Yes, weapons training will teach you how to use them.
So when it's time for a weapon, you can use it.

The situation dictates what needs to be done. All your training does is give you the tools to be able to do it when it's time. But YOU still have to be the one who does it -- as well as knowing when it's time for what.

Having said that, if you limit yourself (by thinking that training directly translates into you being able to handle anything) then you're going to be trying to force.

6 x 24 = 48
24 + 2 = 48
50 - 8 = 48  

Because that's the only answer you have.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV