Self Defense/Structural body arches in martial arts

Hi Marc,

Please have a quick look at this article

I would like to know if the concept is legit.  Does forming arches with your body provide the best stability and power for your body or are other body structures better suited for generating and receiving power (like the traingles talked about in styles like wing chun etc).  

Thanks in advance

Ummmm yes, no, maybe, sometimes, it depends?

I've never quite heard it phrased that way. He flirts with a lot of known concepts but he doesn't really settle down with one system. Yet he's talking in a way modern people can understand.

Here's the thing, what he's saying passes the initial sniff test, but it's kind of vague in details. And in the martial arts there are not only a lot of ways to do things right, but there's way, way  more ways to do thing sorta right. So I can't really tell -- from an article -- is he's getting the details right of the idea he's talking about.

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung

Street self-defense, crime avoidance and personal safety

I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles in 'situational poverty.' I have dealt with criminals and violent people all my life -- both personally and professionally. I have written 15 books and 6 videos on surviving street violence. I was originally published under the name Marc Animal MacYoung. (Animal was my street name). I've taught police and military both internationally and within the US. I've lectured at universities, academies and done countless TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews. I'm a professional speaker on crime avoidance and personal safety. And I am an expert witness recognized by the US court system. My bio is at My abridged CV (Curriculum Vitae) is at

See CV

Too numerous to list here. My CV (for my expert witness work in court) is at

Read "In the Name of Self-Defense" the streets don't give a Ph.D in scuffle.

See CV

See CV