Self-Mutilation/Cutting

Question
QUESTION: What qualifies as self harm/cutting?  Is it if you break the skin and make it bleed? Or its it when you irritate the skin?

ANSWER: Hi Rae,

Self harm is anything that you do to harm yourself on purpose. So something like scratching an itch would not be considered self harm but continually scratching with the intention to harm yourself is considered self harm. There are many forms of self harm but when cutting is considered, it is when you purposely cut yourself, usually leading to you bleeding.

Best wishes,
Lacey

QUESTION: What if I want to stop but yet want to keep cutting as well?

Answer
Rae,

Even though you probably know this, I'm going to mention it; cutting is not healthy and you should try to quit. That being said, trying to stop cutting before you are ready can lead to frustration. My best advice is to find someone who can help you to quit (counselor, friend, etc.). The best thing you can do for yourself is to quit cutting. It will probably be difficult but try. And if you don't succeed, don't worry. Just get your strength back and try again.

Best wishes,
Lacey

Self-Mutilation

Lacey