Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP/Hiking with our Dog at Lodgepole Campground

Hi MaryJo:
We are camping at Lodgepole in Aug. 2015 with our dog.  I know that there are restrictions on hiking with your dog at the National Park and not so much with the National Forest.  But since we will be spending most of our time at Lodgepole-National Park I was wondering if you know of any trails that we can take our dog on.  How strict are they?  Our campsite is at #140 which I believe is close to the river.  Is it o.k. to walk with our dog along the river?  Also, any info on campsite #140 would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.  I have enjoyed reading all of your answers to others.  They have been really helpful.

Hi Dora,

Thank you for being so patient.  I didn't see your email until now.

... and thank you for your kind comments.

The National Park Service is extremely strict about hiking with your dog on the trails.  You can take your dog along the river/stream along the campsite.  I've seen other people with their dogs, so as long as you clean up after him/her, you should be fine.

I actually like campsite 140.  I haven't stayed there myself, but it is on my list of campsites to stay someday.  I think you'll like it because you can go down with your dog, and you're also close to the waterfall, and can walk to that pool.

I do recommend taking your dog to Hume Lake.  A lot of people take their dogs to Sandy Cove there, and there are some trails you can go on.

Have a wonderful trip, and feel free to ask more questions.

Best Regards,

Mary Jo

Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP

MaryJo Mellado Willey

I take my children camping in Sequoia often. I have favorite places to visit, and some easy hikes to take. There is also a small lake close by where one can fish, swim, or rent a small boat.

I've camped in both Lodgepole and Dorst campgrounds. There are plusses to both of them.