Seventh-Day Adventists/Genesis 26:5

Nick wrote at 2010-03-09 12:14:09
Although there appears to be silence on specific Sabbath observance from Adam to Moses, no where does it say that the Sabbath wasn't observed during this period. It would be assumption to state that the Sabbath was not kept between Adam and Moses.

Between Adam and Moses we find that polygamy was practiced (Abraham and Jacob both did this). Does this mean God sanctioned polygamy because Abraham did or did not do something? Here is where we must identify the "first mention" principle of Bible study. In the garden of Eden God setup what He intended the institution of marriage to be, between one man and one woman. The same principle applies to the Sabbath that was instituted by God in Genesis 2:2.

Man had strayed farther and farther from God. God was merciful with His people, and gradually brought them back to the original intention of marriage, worship, and obedience. We find that God started to correct polygamy in Deuteronomy 17:14-20. Christians understood monogamy as God's design for marriage (1 Timothy 3:2, 12; Titus 1:6) in New Testament times. The Sabbath was identified at Mount Horeb as one of the moral laws.

God does not change. "Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end." Psalm 102:25-27

The Sabbath was made for man, not just the Jews. It is important to worship God every day, but the Bible is clear throughout that from the beginning God has set aside one day as special and holy. "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." Mark 2:27

Vince Garcia wrote at 2011-01-21 15:08:50
SDA's, Messianics, and some others, will regularly claim Abraham kept some sort of Law in order to be pleasing to God.

But Paul actually says that no law existed from Adam down to Moses!

For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

--Romans 5:14.

And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

--Gal. 3:17.

But letís not speculate on what "commandments, statutes, and laws" Abraham was apparently keeping--let's simply go to the Bible and list every command God is recorded to have ever given Abraham, and see what those commands were!

Gen. 12

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Gen.13

17 Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.

Gen. 15

1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.

10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.

12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.

13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not their's, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

Gen. 17

1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

15 And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.

16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

Gen. 21

12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Gen. 22

2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Thatís it. Every ďcommandĒ God ever gave Abraham.

Where is the mention of the Torah?

Where is the mention of the 10 Commandments?

Where is the mention of the Sabbath?

There is none! And if you think Iím leaving something out, go read all the chapters of Genesis dealing with Abraham, and you will not find any record of Godís giving him a "law" to obey.

To say that God did give those sorts of commandments to Abraham, who then kept them and was somehow thereby justified, is to deny what the Scripture says God told him, and requires us to:

1. Invent encounters with God that the Bible never mentions.

2. Make up orders given by God to Abraham that the Bible never mentions.

3. Presume Abraham then adopted a certain lifestyle, based on these unsubstantiated encounters and commands, that the Bible never mentions.

So what you will find the Bible actually records are simply general orders, including to sacrifice his son, all of which Abraham obeyed. And, as even James says, Abraham was justified--not by keeping the Law--but by offering up Isaac:

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

--James 2:21.

The only possible issue that could be raised about obedience to a commandment playing a factor in Godís approval of Abraham would be that of circumcision, but Paul deals with that, and makes it clear circumcision played no role in being justified with God whatever.

Anna wrote at 2011-10-31 16:46:42
How was God able to 'judge' before the Mosaic Law?  Doesn't the bible state that where there is no law there is no sin?  How could God judge Cain for murder if there was no law against it?  How did he judge Sodom and Gomorrah, the evil generation of Noah's day if there was no law? Didn't God give Noah laws?  Weren't the 10 commandments (2 stone tablets) placed Inside the Ark and the Book of the Law, written by Moses placed to the side of the Ark?  Isn't this significant allegory as to the sacrifices acceptable to the Lord and those parts of the sacrifices (waste) placed in the dung pile beside the altar?  Isn't the King the Lawgiver?  What is the 'testimony' of the king?  Isn't it the laws written by the 'finger of God(Holy Spirit) who now writes them on tablets of flesh?...our minds and our hearts?

Jeremy wrote at 2011-11-30 02:12:37
I have a thought to go with the 10 commandments- if those 10 laws were not in effect before Moses, how did Cain know killing Abel was wrong? Cain didn't have the 10 Commandments to guide him; how did he know? I mean lets give God and the human race a little credit; there are a lot a dumb people out there, lets not keep trying to prove it. Genesis 2:2,3 God blessed the 7th day and sanctified it. Doesn't that sound pretty special. Must mean something to God; so shouldn't it mean something to us also? And one more thing Jesus was sent here to be an example, he worshiped on the sabbath- which was the 7th day, how do I know that because he sanctified that day and blessed that day at creation, and when he was here, said the sabbath is and should be a blessing to us all. thank you for your time.

Kat wrote at 2013-07-24 05:57:49
Genesis 26:5 does show Abraham kept God's Laws as well as the commandments you reference as examples. Abraham obeyed my voice and keep my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my LAWS. Your examples have nothing to do with law. According to 1 Jn 3:4, sin is lawlessness. Therefore when God told Cain that sin was waiting at his door. In other words, Cain had to have known murder was included in the law of God. Furthermore, Lucifer sinned when he coveted God's authority. So we know God's law is eternal. Now that is an example that the law was in effect.  Also, the Sabbath Day was established, or created, on the seventh day of creation.

Gen 2:3   Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

And... Hebrews 4 in the NT, talks about the 4th commandment and says:  There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. Heb 4:9

I have learned that in Revelation, God's remnant church will be attacked. It is the devil's intent to deceive even the elect if possible. And the initial answer to your question is very crafty. Be careful and study the Bible out.  The Bible should explain it to you, not man.

In reverent search of a Holy God and His truth,

Kat

Kat wrote at 2013-07-24 15:05:41

Kat

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal