Seventh-Day Adventists/swap of ideas

djconklin wrote at 2008-07-08 21:53:59
" you must also be circumcised and not trim the edges of your beard, mix types of fabrics, etc"

That does not follow from keeping the Sabbath as holy as God asked us to do.

Sal wrote at 2008-07-09 09:50:07
God never told us to keep the Sabbath. Read Exodus 20 & Deuteronomy 5. God told the Israelites, and only the Israelites, to keep the Sabbath. Read through the Old Testament and you will never find a command for Gentiles to keep the Sabbath. Yes, the Bible says that Gentiles may keep the Sabbath (see Romans 14:5), but Gentiles do not have to keep the Sabbath as a requirement like the Israelites did. Brian makes a good point that if you want to keep the Sabbath command please remember that it is only one of a package of 613 commands and if you keep one you must keep them all (Deuteronomy 27:26;Galatians 3:10 & James 2:10).

Frank wrote at 2008-07-11 22:51:52
Isaiah 56 that Sabbath keeping is recommended to the Gentiles so that they can be part of the covenant.

The question is, which of the laws in the Old Testament is are shadows of the New Covenant, and are replaced by Jesus in the New Covenant.  The answer is in Hebrews chapters 7-10 -- the priesthood, the sacrifices, the tabernacle, the yearly festivals.  Circumcision is also replaced by baptism.  However, all 10 of the Ten Commandments continued to be kept by Jesus, the apostles and the early Christian Church.  We don't have record of Christianity allowing Sabbath breaking until after all of the apostles had died.

cahkf65 wrote at 2013-06-20 14:01:51
Being an Adventist, I observe Sabbath completely. I do not work, cook, chat, watch movies etc. See Isiah 58:13-14.

It is ridiculous for any Christian to question Sabbath's worthy just because Jesus died for us. Jesus' death was for the end of sacrifices since he was the Ultimate Lamb, his blood was shed. This is one of the animals that Israelite used for sinning sacrifices.

The problem with us Christians is that we often interpret the Bible's laws in our own convenience. Laws are twisted and interpreted into what fits or is preferred to man.

If you wish to tell me that Jesus came and died for our sins, that is why there is of no importance to follow Moses' laws, then I am therefore allowed to steal, murder or even fornicate.

The response to what I have just said in the last statement who normally be, "Murder is a crime" or "Someone's life is lost" etc. Then I would then ask, "Who lets you choose what is right or wrong? If you don't follow Moses' Laws, what book listed all sins and immorality? Do we just pick what we want?"

Anyway, Observing Sabbath was present in the 10 Commandments. The 10 Commandments is still read and learnt in your Sunday schools. However, if you still believe that Sabbath is of no importance, neither should you follow the other 9 Commandments. I mean, there all in the time of Moses. In fact, Observing Sabbath was present before Israelite, in the beginning of time. See Genesis 2:1-4.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Brian Tripp