Seventh-Day Adventists/GOD'S FEASTS are NOT Man's Feasts

Ron wrote at 2010-04-11 04:56:59
Sal, I'm afraid that your answer neither holds up under close scrutiny of the Scriptures, nor, frankly, of the writings and prophetic statements of the SDA prophet, Ellen G. White.

Who established the Feasts of the Lord?  God did, specifically the pre-incarnate Christ (Leviticus 23).

Did Jesus observe the Feasts while on this earth? Yes, see especially the gospel of John.

Did the disciples keep the Feasts after the cross?  Yes, we find that Pentecost was observed by the disciples in Acts 2. If you study the passage carefully, it becomes clear that the disciples were gathered at the temple when the Holy Spirit fell upon them. Paul clearly kept Passover, Pentecost, and Yom Kippur.

History records that the early Christians continued to observe Passover as a Messianic observance every year at the close of Nisan 14. Historical letters preserved by Eusebius show clearly that John the Apostle, Philip the Evangelist and other faithful Christians considered the keeping of a Messianic Passover observance at the close of Nisan 14 to be part of "the gospel" and "according to the rule of faith." (See the SDA Bible Commentary, vol 9, p. 362 - Quotations #655 and #656.) Note that Polycarp and Polycrates are not Hebrew names. These were Gentile Christians upholding what they had been taught by the original diciples of our Lord.

It was the Bishop of Rome who championed the observance of Easter (a pagan holiday) instead of Passover, to distance Christians from the Jews and thus avoid persecution (see the SDA Bible Commentary, Vol. 9, pp. 645-659).

Why does the SDA church not keep the Biblical Feasts?

1. Because  they are afraid of being called legalists by nominal Christian denominations. SDA's are willing to champion the 7th-day Sabbath, but not the annual Sabbaths because it would be too "inconvenient." (search the EGW CD for her use of the word "inconvenient.")

2. Because most SDA's do not understand the 3 angel's messages. We are called to worship God according to how God has specified. (Revelation 14:6-7). This includes Leviticus 23.  We are also called to warn the world that Babylon is a fallen, adulterous system (Revelation 14:8). But the SDA church has watered down "Babylon" to be mere "confusion." Babylon in truth practices the remnants of the Babylonish religion set up at the Tower of Babel by Nimrod and his wife Semiramis, and includes the false holidays of December 25 and Easter Sunday (among others) that you cannot find in Scripture, but have been imported into the Christian church and given Christian connections. Can man establish religious feasts and holy days? If so, the Catholic church is right. The third angel's message (Revelation 14:9-12) calls all to keep the commandments of God, and preserve the faith of Jesus, and gives clear warning as to what will happen to those who rather follow the beast. When did Jesus set up December 25 as a day connected in any way to Himself? Are we keeping all of God's commands? A truthful answer is "No." We are advised that the New Testament religion was not meant to destroy the Old Testament religion, but is rather an unfolding, a better understanding of the religion the pre-incarnate Christ established as seen in the pages of the Old Testament. Read The Desire of Ages, p. 826, paragraph 1, and let it be the judge of which feasts and festivals we are to keep. We are called to "Come out of Babylon."  We have a call from heaven to observe God's statutes and ordinances. (another close paraphrase of an EGW statement). Please read The Acts of the Apostles, p. 390. Paul clearly taught that even the Jews were released from the "rites of the ceremonial law." Then the next thing he did was "keep the Passover" with the Philippians. This clearly shows that the keeping of a Messianic Passover is not part of the ceremonial law.

4. The SDA church does not want to keep the feasts because they are scared of eating horseradish during the Passover Seder. But horseradish is not native to the Middle East - it is native to Western Europe. Horseradish at Passover is a custom developed among European Jews during the Diaspora, and was a favorite condiment among the Russian Jews. God said to include "bitter herbs," not bitter roots at Passover. The bitter herbs known to those God was speaking to were bitter lettuces, not hot, stinging condiments such as horseradish.

All the other "reasons" to not keep the Feasts fall into the category of twisting Scripture and a twisted understanding of Ellen White statements, including a refusal to see Ellen White as a prophet. The statement "In the time of the end, every divine institution is to be restored," (Prophets and Kings, p. 678) was published in 1917, two years after EGW died. Do you expect a dead woman to observe what she has written about? This is clearly a prophetic statement. On p. 100-101 of Prophets and Kings, EGW clearly identifies the three Pilgrim Feasts as divinely appointed institutions.

With the promulgation of EGW published works, both on the White Estate webside, and now through research CD's it is becoming impossible to hide what EGW really said. SDA's need to become diligent in searching these resources. It is time to re-read the Conflict of the Ages series, as much information is published in these books that was not here-to-fore   understood.

More people are studying the texts such as Ephesians 2:14-15 and Colossians 2:13-17 and finding out what the underlying Greek really means. The word "Sabbaton" means, "the weekly Sabbath, that comes every seven days." It will be seen that the weekly Sabbath and the annual Sabbaths stand or fall together, just as they are positioned in Leviticus 23.  It was the "cheirographon" that was nailed to the cross (Colossians 2:14). A cheirographon is a legal bond - it is the list of our sins, how we have broken God's law. Jesus took that list of sins to the cross - He is our sin-bearer. Now Satan can no longer accuse us, when we accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. The annual Feasts are shadow pictures of good things to come - Jesus Christ is the central focus of each of the annual Sabbaths. Each of the Feasts explore a vital step in Christ's plan to save us and restore us to His image. What better time to study these themes than the very times that Jesus Himself appointed?

We need the eyesalve of the Holy Spirit to open our eyes. We need the gold of faith and love, so that we will no longer be separated from our Savior and the plans He has for us. We need the raiment of Christ's righteousness both upon us and in us. God will have a holy people in these last days to declare His statutes and judgments! (a close paraphrase of an EGW statement).  Let us prepare for the outpouring of the Latter Rain. Let us proclaim the Elijah Message (Malachi 4:4). Let us cling to our Savior, and Him only. When the church shakes, will we be prepared? Or will we be blown away because we are clinging to the world and its false religion? May God help us!

Ron wrote at 2010-04-11 05:31:08
Sal,

You do not understand what God meant by the word, "COVENANT." God gave Israel the Ten Commandments, plus, as Mrs. White clearly indicated, on pages 100 and 101, Prophets and Kings, the three pilgrim feasts of the Lord, which she then terned, "Divinely appointed institutions." On page 678, she clearly stated that "In the time of the end (where we are right now), every divine institution IS to be RESTORED."

Later, she wrote that "The Sabbath, as a divine institution, has now been restored." She was not inconsistent in her use of descriptive words. The words, "every" and "a" mean very different things.

She also said, "Moses, of himself, framed NO law." She also said in an article that "Jesus was the originator of the religion of the Jews." Look these statements up in a search engine on the E.G. White Estate web-site. In another place, she wrote, "Well it would be for the people of God to have a Feast of Tabernacles." This was long after Adventist campmeetings had been going on and continued.

Let's not turn Paul against Jesus, or Jesus against Moses, whom Jesus had turned the Pharisees and other detractors back to: "What saith the Law of Moses?" If it were not His law He turned people back to, why then would He ask them to go back and read the Law that He gave Moses?

When, in Ezekiel, God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, chapter 36, vs. 26 and 27, He said that He would write His laws on their new hearts of flesh after removing, through the power of His Son's sacrifice and resurrection, their hearts of stone, said this, and then finished His prophecy with the words, walk in My laws and keep my statutes and judgements and DO THEM, He was NOT changing any of the moral law (the Ten Commandments, and the other laws, statutes and judgements, including the annual feasts of the Lord. He had long before that promised to "cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease," which He did when Jesus was crucified.

The meaning of the word, covenant, is not the Law, which is not a covenant, or agreement. The agreement is made between two entities (in this case, God and man) to either keep the Law and have life. Or continue in sin, breaking God's Law, and have death.

The difference is not the law, but who is making the promises. A huge change took place when God's Son took man's incapable place, and lived the Law perfectly, then gave Himself as the Atoning sacrifice so we could be forgiven, then sanctified through His grace by faith unto OBEDIENCE to His Law of Love. Go back and read the Law. It is filled with God's Love for us, then and now. It has never changed.

The only thing that has changed is that now we, if we accept Jesus' sacrifice and his forgiveness and the Holy Spirit He left us at Shavuot (Feast of Weeks, or Pentecost) and It has been with us ever since. Their is a big difference between doing the rituals or sacrifices and washings and oblations during His special times, and following Christ's example by observing them with the actual themes of the Plan of Salvation, which is how Scripture records that the apostles observed them.

God richly bless you,

Ron

raul cervantes wrote at 2011-03-28 10:05:42
I am am SDA and believe we are saved by grace, so no observance of feasts could save us. However, the mere observance does not save us either.  It is by grace.  When we accept God's gift of salvation we would be inclined to obey His commandments and observe the Biblical feast seeing in Messiah their fullfilment and meaning.  What a richness awaits for us when we remember the Biblical feast!  So, it has to do with intention.  Do I observe the feast to be saved?  NO!  We do it because we rejoice in the plan of salvation as delineated by the festivities.  I rather remember and celebrate God's holidays than the pagan feasts of Christianity.

mike wrote at 2013-03-05 13:19:54
I certainly agree with the asker.

Sal, you are a shame to the SDA church.

"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" Revelation 22:14

God restored Israel as a nation after signaling his presence with a holy tetrad. 47-48

Go restores Jerusalem to Israel after signaling his presence with another holy tetrad 67-68

seems God still remembers his holy days

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal