Seventh-Day Adventists/About Ellen White

Believer in Forgiveness wrote at 2010-12-31 16:37:11
I have not read all of Ellen White's work, but something in this answer, promoted me to state the following:

If Ellen White did indeed quote... not copy... but quote, her mistake was not intentional plagiarism, her mistake was simply that she didn't know the plagiarism laws or with her 3rd grade education, did not understand how to write a bibliography. It would be the publisher's fault for not catching this error (not lie, but error) and it's an easy mistake to make when information sharing 100 years ago was... well... minimal, and it would not have been easy, if possible to even catch plagiarism.

Jesus was already nailed to a cross for sins he never committed, this woman's writings hers or borrowed were God's word. God does plagiarize, why condemn her for the sins of her publishers, her words were inspirational, and I don't think she ever intentionally claimed they were all her own.

Let those without sin, cast the first stone.  

Frank wrote at 2011-01-09 12:35:36
Here is a link to a thorough discussion of the circumstances surrounding this letter.

In Christ's love,

Carol C. wrote at 2013-06-09 06:30:32
Yes, Ellen did steal other's writings.  She did commit literary theft, regardless of what Ramik says.  As an Adventist, it was devastating to find this out.  In Rea's book, "The White Lie", he shows pages of identical, word by word copying from various authors.  Anyone who does research knows this.  It wasn't okay then and it isn't okay now, it doesn't matter how good the text sounds.  Lying is lying plain and simple. If Ellen wasn't aware of this fraudulence, then her editors certainly were.  Any student in Freshman Comp knows what kind of trouble one can be in from not giving credit to sources.  Why doesn't the church just be honest instead of making excuses, republishing text in new versions to cover this up and persist in not leveling with it's constituents?  We live in the age of information, and this just doesn't wash anymore. Carol C.

Carol C. wrote at 2013-06-09 06:48:19
No God does not plagerize and Ellen did not borrow, she took. Carol C.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Can one know God and not keep His commandments? Let John answer (1Jn2:4). He that says, I know Him and keeps not His commandments (including the 4th) is a liar and the truth is not in him. Since Seventh-Day Adventists derive their teachings from the Holy Bible, I will answer questions on any Biblically related subject or topic and questions on distinct Adventist practice and doctrine. Remember Paul`s words that state in the last days there will be deceivers seeking to lead astray many, yet the sincere believer can take comfort in the Lord`s promise that anyone desiring to know His truth will know it. May the Lord bless you as you seek Him.

I graduated from an Adventist University with a major in Behavioral Science and a minor in religion including an intermediate study of the Greek written language. I earned a master in religion from Liberty University a Baptist seminary. I have been a student of the Bible and of Biblical history for over 30 years.