Seventh-Day Adventists/Isaiah 66: 22, 23

Frank wrote at 2010-08-24 02:47:41
The Expert’s response:

--------------------------

Dear Shymeria:

Isaiah, 66:22-23, does not indicate that New Covenant Christians will be keeping the Old Covenant 7th day Sabbath.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

///The Ten Commandments didn’t end at the cross. The Sabbath as given in Exodus 2:2, 3 was made to be a memorial of creation.  When Jesus “slept” in the tomb on the Sabbath after being crucified, the Sabbath became a memorial of redemption as well.  When God restores the earth to sinless perfection, the Sabbath of the 4th commandment will become a memorial of re-creation also. God didn’t make any mistakes when He created this world the first time so there is no reason to believe he will do it differently the second time.\\\

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isaiah is an Old Covenant prophet describing things in Old Covenant terms that he and his immediate audience would easily understand.

///Prophets didn’t always understand the things they were shown in vision. They did their best to record them but trying to describe things never before seen can be difficult. How much more difficult then is it for those reading the prophecies to understand them? \\\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus he writes that in the New World the bondage of the past in Babylon will be forgotten. They will be full of joy. Babies will not die shortly after birth. Righteous adults will live long lives. They will no longer be slaves so that they will build homes and farm for themselves not harsh Babylonian masters. Their God will never abandon them as it seemed He did during the Babylonian Captivity. A great peace will envelop the people, and even the animals will live in peace with one another. Their God will be worshipped in Jerusalem by all people. This prophecy is not to be taken literally. Note that it is in earthly terms-Old Covenant terms. If we take this prophecy as literal we are presented with several problems concerning it vision of the New World.

1)   Women will continue to have babies (65:20, 23; cf. Matthew 22:30).

2)   The righteous will still die (65:20; cf. Revelation 21:4).

3)   The Levitical priesthood will be resurrected (66:21; cf. Hebrews 7:11-  28; 8:13; 10:9-12).

4)   New moons and Sabbaths will be celebrated (66:23; cf. Galatians 4:8-    11; Ephesians 2:14-16; Colossians 2:14-17; Hebrews 8:13; 10:9).

5)   Corpses will decorate Isaiah’s New World (66:24).

///1. This verse does not say women will have babies. There is no reason to believe no babies or children will resurrected.

2. “the child shall die an hundred years old” can be interpreted to mean that children in heaven won’t reach “adulthood” until they are 100 years old.

3. 1st Peter 2:5 “Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”  Hebrews 7:17 says Christ is “a priest forever”. Indeed, He is our high priest. (Hebrews 9:11)

4 God’s time commands are to be measured by the sun and moon and stars. God made the moon to be a timepiece for man. The new moon is to mark the beginning of the month. Since the tree of life bears new fruit every month and we will partake of that fruit, it isn’t a stretch to believe it will partake of it on a monthly basis.

In Galatians 4:10, Paul is talking to gentiles who have come out of paganism. They worshipped pagan deities (“no gods” vs. 8). The “days, and months, and seasons, and years” are pagan rites and festivals, not Jewish ones.

Regarding Colossians 2:13, 14; The ‘handwriting of ordinances’ that was against us (the moral law has never been said to be against us) is best understood to be the written record of our transgressions, from whose penalty Christ died to save us.

Of course Ephesians 2:15 refers to the ceremonial law. The sacrificial system is taken out of the way so the Gentile as well as the Jew has equal access to the forgiveness found in Christ.

It is obvious from the context of Hebrews 10:9 that Paul is talking about the cross ending the sacrificial system. By accepting Christ’s atoning sacrifice we have forgiveness of sins (we are justified) and He puts His laws in our hearts and minds (vs. 16), and as we walk after the spirit we are sanctified.

To understand the meaning of Hebrews 8:13, reread the preceding paragraph.\\\

----------------------------------------

Continued next response

Kevin McMillen wrote at 2012-02-08 16:56:53
The problem is that SDA's don't understand the context of Is. 66 and Zech. 14 because they believe in a desolate earth during the millenium.

The bible teaches that the earth will be inhabited by flesh and blood humans during the millenium, who will indeed keep the 7th day Sabbath as well as all the other Feasts of God.

The problem with SDA teaching is that they believe the Sabbath to be an eternal moral law. This is incorrect. The Sabbath will only be kept as long as there are flesh and blood humans to keep it.

Once we are all spirit we will have no need of the Sabbath. The Sabbath was made for man.

While I'm sure Brother Sal is sincere, he does not know the truth about the Sabbath and Holy Days of YHVH.

We are to keep them, not as a requirement for salvation, but because we love our God.

Is not getting angry with our brother a requirement for salvation? If you say yes, then we're all lost because I know of no one other than Jesus who has not gotten angry with their brother.

If you say no, then am I free to get angry with my brother any time I want, just because I'm saved by grace?

The Sabbath is not a requirenment for salvation, but we are not free to break it any time we want. To break it is a sin. If we break it, and all sabbath keepers do indeed break it, we confess that we are sinners in need of Christ. That doesn't mean we go on thinking it doesn't matter if we keep it or not.

Sabbath keeping doesn't have to be legalistic. In fact I know many Sunday keepers that are legalistic about Sunday, dancing, playing cards, gambling, drinking, etc. etc.

I keep the Sabbath knowing that my keeping it adds nothing to my salvation.

It's this understanding that folks like Sal don't understand, they don't understand keeping the Sabbath because we don't want to continue in sin. Sure we break it more oft than not, but we break many commands, we are sinners, but we are not free to sin all we want.

This is the essence of true Sbbath keeping.

SANDRA wrote at 2012-10-15 12:19:39
The SABBATH SHALL BE KEPT IN THE NEW HEAVEN, THE NEW JERUSALEM WHICH JOHN SAW COMING DOWN FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN. There is no other meaning to Isiah 63:22-23  no mater how much you try to twist it. GOD ALMIGHT CAHNGES NOT, WHAT HE SANCTIFIES REMAINS SO UNTILL HE SAYS OTHERWISE. DONT MISLEAD PEOPLE FOR YOU WILL BE ANSWERABLE NOT LONG FROM NOW

paul d. wrote at 2015-03-15 12:31:26
https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1945/11/new-moon-and-sabbath-of-isaiah-66

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal