Seventh-Day Adventists/sda beliefs

Frank wrote at 2010-08-29 23:08:44

The expert’s answer:

Dear Gifty:

The answer to all three of your questions is rooted in the SDA Church’s inability to understand the biblical idea of covenants. The SDA Church has always been unable to differentiate between the two major covenants in the Bible which are the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. They mix the elements of these two covenants as desired. What God never intended they swear by. You can see why their theology is so confused and confusing.

///The SDA Church is quite adept at differentiating between the Old and New Covenants. The SDA Church does not mix elements of the Old and New as desired.\\\

The jewelry prohibition is not followed by many SDAs. This prohibition is more related to the teachings of Ellen White then to the Bible. For example she said,

“Those who have bracelets, and wear gold and ornaments, had better take these idols from their persons and sell them, even if it should be for much less than they gave for them, and thus practice self-denial. Time is too short to adorn the body with gold or silver or costly apparel. I know a good work can be done in this line. Jesus, the Commander in the heavenly courts, laid aside His crown of royalty and His royal robe and stepped down from His royal throne, and clothed His divinity with the habiliments of humanity, and for our sakes became poor, that we through His poverty might come into possession of eternal riches, and yet the very ones for whom Christ has done everything that was possible to do to save the perishing souls from eternal ruin feel so little disposition to deny themselves anything they have money to buy” (Manuscript Releases vol. 9, p. 117).

The use of jewelry is not condemned in the Bible. As with most things moderation is the key. Here is the teaching of Paul on this matter, “Similarly, the women must deport themselves properly. They should dress modestly and quietly, and not be decked out in fancy hair styles, gold ornaments, pearls, or costly clothing, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God” (1Timothy 2:9-10).

Peter offers similar advice. “The affection of an elaborate hairdress, the wearing of golden jewelry, or the donning of rich robes is not for you. Your adornment is rather the hidden character of the heart, expressed in the unfading beauty of a calm and gentle disposition. This is precious in God's eyes. The holy women of past ages used to adorn themselves in this way, reliant on God and obedient to their husbands” (I Peter 3:3-5).

Please note that neither Apostle condemns jewelry use. They emphasize the importance of good deeds and inner beauty verses the excessive use of jewelry.

/// No one is prohibited from worshipping in a Seventh-day Adventist church because they are wearing jewelry. When Peter says the wearing of jewelry “is not for you” (Christians) then why would it be considered appropriate for professed Christians in the SDA Church? (or any other Christian church for that matter).\\\

Many SDAs do not follow the Church’s food laws. The biblical basis for these prohibitions is found in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14:3-21. These Old Covenant laws were nailed to the cross of Christ, therefore, they are not in effect for God’s people today (Colossians 2:14).  As Paul noted concerning this matter, “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men” (Romans 14:17-18).

///The SDA church does not prohibit the use of (clean) meats. The distinction between clean and unclean meats was not ceremonial and therefore did not end at the cross. Romans 4:17, 18 is a summary of the preceding verses in that chapter. The subject Paul is addressing is not the distinction between clean and unclean animals. Rather he is talking about fast days and what new converts believed should and shouldn’t be eaten. The phrase “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking” does not do away with the distinction between clean and unclean animals.\\\

The SDA Church believes that the 7th day Sabbath is still valid as a moral law. They base this on Genesis 2:2-3. They believe that God resting on the 7th day of creation week means that all men are morally bound to do likewise.

///This is a misstatement. SDA’s believe the Sabbath is morally binding because it is part of God’s Ten Commandment law.\\\

There is no mention of this “moral” law being observed until after the Exodus from Egypt (Exodus 16:23). They believe that this sign of the Old Covenant (Exodus 31:12-18) is also to be observed in the New Covenant. All this despite the fact that no Christian is commanded to observe the Sabbath in the New Covenant. So you can see how they mix the covenants without realizing their error. “But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read…” (2 Corinthians 3:14).

///Since Seventh-day Adventists do not believe the Ten Commandments ended at the cross they do not believe the 4th Commandment has to be restated for it to still be binding. However, the fact that the commandment is still observed is confirmed by the fact that Jesus himself observed the Sabbath and never taught the disciples that its observance was to end at the cross. The Abrahamic Covenant, when ratified by Christ on the cross, established the law and made it honorable. Any changes in the law would have to have been made before Christ’s death as a will can not be changed after the death of the testator. The ceremonial ordinances that were types and shadows were not part of the Ten Commandment law and ended at the cross. (Ephesians 2:15)          

Seventh-day Adventists do not believe that the statement, “no Christian is commanded to observe the Sabbath in the New Covenant”, is true. Since the New Covenant, God’s law (the Ten Commandments) is written in the mind and heart of believers, it is as much a part of God’s law in the New Testament (Covenant) as it was in the Old Testament (Covenant). (See Hebrews 10:16).\\\

Thanks for the question. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

God Bless You,

///In Christ’s love,

Alfred wrote at 2013-02-17 14:24:30
Please Sal, read ch. 4 of the book of Hebrews.  It will clear up your understanding of the Sabbath and old and new covenants.

God be with us all as we strive to remain in His truth!

torah wrote at 2015-07-23 23:49:38
an expert at what the new is the samr as the old when it comes to the laws .this site don't even use the right bible ,please do us a favor don't twist the word for your lies

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics