Seventh-Day Adventists/Feast Days

John wrote at 2010-09-15 17:33:16
Sal wrote…  “I must ask you why you think that it was God that led you to keep an obsolete feast day of an obsolete covenant (see Hebrews 8:13)?”

The author of the Ten Commandments website (www.the-ten-commandments.org) has this to say about the Old Testament Covenants and Hebrews 8…

“There were many covenants made in the Old Testament such as the Noahic Covenant, Abrahamic Covenant, Covenant with Isaac, Covenant with Jacob, Covenant with Joseph, Mosaic Covenant and the Davidic Covenant just to name a few. So when we say Old Covenant, we will only be referring to what is relevant to us today in regards to the law of God and the Old Covenant as referenced in Hebrews chapter 8. This topic is grossly misunderstood and typical finds scripture quoted out of context and followed by ones personal thoughts. So here you will find the Old and New Covenants explained plainly and simply and predominantly with scripture.”

To read more on this topic, please see…

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/old_and_new_covenants.html

You see Sal, Judith, myself, and a multitude other Sabbath keeping Christians throughout the world believe that the 10 Commandments are eternal, represent the very character of God, and can never be abolished as some earthly religious organizations, through centuries of influence from mere mortal men, have chosen to believe…  We know beyond any doubt that we have been led by God to observe the Sabbath because the Bible teaches us that His 10 Commandments have never been done away with!  

And by the way, the SDA church is not the only group of Christians that believes this…

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/sabbathkeepingchurches.html

Maranatha!!

John  

Kyle wrote at 2010-09-22 05:27:06
Hello Judith,

I don't know how long ago you wrote this but I just read it, and I thought I would say something. I personally believe there is a difference between the Old and New covenant with the old requiring sacrifices and feasts because they were fulfilled by Jesus.  When I look at the Sabbath I don't see that being fulfilled for multiple reasons. One is that I see God taking a Sabbath at Creation, and why would He celebrate a Sabbath day before sin if it was going to be "fulfilled" even before sin happened.  Another is that the 10 Commandments were written in stone and placed inside the ark of the covenant and the laws of Moses about sacrifices, laws, health, ect. were placed on the side of the ark and written on a scroll Deut 31:24-26. I think they are important just like any part of the Bible, but they pointed toward something, just like Daniels prophecies point toward something.  They aren't less meaningful just because they are fulfilled, but it is important to realize they are fulfilled and how they were fulfilled.  

For me Sabbath isn't part of the Old Covenant, it is part of the lasting commandments written in stone twice to me that seems to say they are important.  I know some say that as long as we love God and others it is ok. But isn't that what the 10 Commandments are? 1st 4 are how to show your love to God, and the last 6 are how to show your love to man.  

I don't mean to be long winded, and I believe all are entitled to their beliefs, but thought I would just share with you mine.  Hope this doesn't make you more confused. Will pray for your walk with Christ for He is where we should rely for your ultimate answers.  But it is a journey and we learn and change as we go.  God bless.

No Worries, All to God,

Kyle

mike wrote at 2010-09-22 18:42:03
I beg to differ that the 7th day Sabbath was done away with.  Apparently Paul didn't get that memo in Act 17:2.  And apparently God didn't get it either in Isaiah 66

22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.  

markyjod wrote at 2010-10-08 09:03:50
i also disagree that the saturday/seventh-day sabbath is a shadow that was fulfilled in christ because if that statement is true, what do you make of the other nine commandments. We cannot selectively disregard the sabbath law claiming that its old covenant and say that the other nine are still binding in the new covenant.. John is right, God's law is a written form of His character, ergo the law is eternal as God is. So the seventh-day sabbath should be kept as much as we should neither steal nor kill anyone eventhough we are new covenant christians

Amy wrote at 2011-01-11 05:18:45
There is no old covenant. God's law stands. Christ did not do away with the law.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.  

PBarnes wrote at 2011-05-26 18:04:32
The Sabbath is in fact the 1st of God's feast days, and should be kept as well as the other feast of Leviticus 23. Seventh-Day Adventist with the rest of Christendom have thrown the baby out with the bath water.We don't need to go to Jerusalem to keep the feast. We are spiritual Jews, and our High Priest is Jesus Christ who ministers in the Heavenly Sanctuary. Look Up.

NarrowWayMedia wrote at 2012-05-15 12:39:35
Let's look at Leviticus 23 more carefully.  

The LORD begins introducing the feasts by saying, "THESE are my feasts," then in the next verse says, "Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: IT is the sabbath of the LORD."  Immediately after he writes, "THESE are the feasts of the LORD...," and lists the feast days.  He is making a clear distinction between the two.  The seventh-day in which no work is to be done, IT is the sabbath of the LORD, but THESE following are the feasts.  Essentially, don't confuse the sabbaths of the feasts with the seventh-day sabbath of the LORD.  

No work was to be done on the sabbath of the LORD... the only feast day in which no work was to be done was on the Day of Atonement.  All other feast day sabbaths state that "ye shall do no SERVILE work therein."  The LORD did not want the Israelites to confuse the two which might cause the seventh-day sabbath to be regarded as the feast day sabbaths.

Verse 37 and 38 of the same chapter also help to make it clear.  Verse 37 says, "These are the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations...," then writes in verse 38, "Beside the sabbaths of the LORD..."  Again, the sabbath of the LORD is not grouped with the feasts days.  These are the feasts, to be proclaimed as holy convocations, beside (not including) the holy convocation of the seventh-day sabbath which was instituted at creation.  The object of mentioning the sabbath of the LORD with the feast days was for the purpose of making the distinction between the two (which would be easy since the feasts had sabbaths though not always landing on the seventh-day of the week).  Leviticus 23 is not to show that the feast days are on par with the sabbath of the LORD.

Lee Folkman

www.narrowwaymedia.org

Renee wrote at 2012-09-10 05:24:08
Please see this link...

http://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/10-commandments/sabbath/

Leaha wrote at 2014-10-06 10:55:38
Not sure way you think that the feast days are not to be keep by us. Jesus full filled the spring feast.  He died on the cross for the "House of Israel" which were the other 10 tribe scattered through the nations, so he could one day come back for his bride. There is a new covenant but he did not abolish the feast days. If he did where does it say the scriptures?  He has appointed times for us.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal