Seventh-Day Adventists/Confession of sin

Question
Is Jesus is still taking fresh sins upon His Person, even today, even in heaven???
I have heard some different things being taught by Seventh Day Adventists and I want to know the truth, as this has caused me great consternation.
When we confess our sins, are our sins literally laid upon Jesus before they are transferred to the heavenly sanctuary?

Answer
Brent,

Sorry for the delay in answering.  I had to spend some time thinking and praying about how to answer your question as accurately as possible.  The short answer to both your questions, though, is "yes," and here's why -- i.e., the long answer:

Hebrews 9:11-14  But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.  For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Hebrews 9:15  And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Hebrews 9:16-22  For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.  For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.  Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.  For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.  Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.  And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Hebrews 9:23-28  It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.  For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; for then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.  And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: so Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Now, from the above passage one can draw the conclusion that the answer to your question is "no;" because, it states that Jesus only had to be offered once.  I believe that last part is true, but the former conclusion is not.  However, notice that verse 22 states that without the shedding of blood there is no remission for sin.  Is there a contradiction here?  ...or, would you take the course some have taken that when Jesus gave His Life it was also an everlasting atonement for all future sin?  From there, the same people take the stance that they can continue sinning with impunity and without the need for sincere repentance.  No, there has to be a better answer than such cheap grace.

So, back to my question of is there a contradiction in Hebrews 9?  I don't think so and the Old Testament agrees with Hebrews 9:22.  This is God speaking:

Leviticus 17:11  For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

So, how do we reconcile this issue?  Well, God gave the ceremonial system to Mankind as a means not only of reminding His People that there is a Plan of Salvation in place; but, to also show Mankind (in symbols) how the pieces of that Plan fit together and function from the beginning point of removing sin from the people to the end goal of completely eradicating sin for all time.  Contrary to what most will claim, that ceremonial system was not intended to end with Christ's Cross -- Jesus said this, Himself, in Matthew 5:17,18 (although people misconstrue that, too).  In point of fact, the books of Hebrews and Revelation bring out that some of that ceremonial system Jesus is carrying on in Heaven as our High Priest.  Instead, Jesus Christ's Death, Burial, and Resurrection fulfilled only one piece of that ceremonial system.  Granted, it was a very important piece.  But, just one piece nonetheless.  That piece was the day of the Passover (the Death), the first rest day (the Burial) of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and "the morrow after the rest day" (the third day from His Death) which was the Feast of the Wave Sheaf (the Resurrection).

There is still the rest of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks (which was only partially fulfilled by that day of Pentecost which the 120 in the upper room experienced that day in 27 AD), the Feast of Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and the Feast of Tabernacles (which culminates in The Last Great Day of the LORD).  We can't just ignore all these other pieces to the Plan of Salvation.  But, that's a different subject...

The point here is that all these ceremonial services played a part -- in symbol -- for literal requirements in God's Plan of Salvation.  Hence, we must look at how sin was dealt with in these services...

First, there was a daily system of sacrifices which served the purpose of transferring the confessed sins of the people to the first compartment of the Wilderness Tabernacle -- or, the Holy Place.  Blood was required in order to make this transference.  Then, annually, there was another system of sacrifices which served the purpose of transferring the sins from the Holy Place to the second compartment of the Wilderness Tabernacle -- or, the Most Holy Place.  Again, blood was required in order to make this transference and it wasn't the same blood as was used in the daily system of sacrifices.  Meaning, the shedding of new blood was required.  Note that the sin transferred from the person to the sacrifice and then to the Holy Place on a daily basis.  Then, it transferred from the Holy Place to another sacrifice and then to the Most Holy Place on an annual basis.

But, that still wasn't the end of it.  Lastly, there was another sacrifice (the LORD's goat) which allowed the sins to be transferred out of the Most Holy Place, completely, because of yet another sacrifice.  But, though this was yet another shedding of blood, those sins still had to be laid on yet another symbol to complete the cycle.  That symbol was the scapegoat and it had to be led out into the wilderness by the hand of a fit man and the symbol left to die (a living death) in that wilderness -- thus, eradicating (for all time) the sins it carried.

First, it is important to note that Jesus Christ doesn't fit this last symbol.  Rather, the "fit man" is Jesus and the symbol upon which all confessed sin must ultimately be laid is the Devil, himself.  Revelation 5:1-10 reveals Jesus Christ as that fit (or, "worthy") Man and Revelation 20:1-3 reveals that the Devil will be led out into the wilderness to serve out a thousand years of a living death in which a desolate earth (Jeremiah 4:23-28; 25:33) will leave him with no one to tempt before he -- and sin, itself (Micah 7:19; Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10,14) -- is destroyed in the Lake of Fire.

OK, wrapping things up...  Jesus Christ has three, dual roles in dealing with Mankind (Judge-Lawgiver; Warrior-King; and Saviour-Priest) and three roles as "Messiah" in the Plan of Salvation (Servant, Priest, and King) -- with some overlap between the two.  But, more importantly (as I hinted, earlier), Jesus Christ is symbolized by the daily sacrifice, the annual Passover sacrifice, and both of the annual atonement sacrifices.  Jesus Christ is also symbolized by the laver of water and the altar of sacrifice in the tabernacle courtyard; the lamp, table of shew-bread, and altar of incense in the Holy Place; and the mercy seat in the Most Holy Place.  As an aside, the tabernacle courtyard symbolizes this earth and the tabernacle, itself, symbolizes Heaven.

In every case, though, the blood of those separate sacrifices are representative of the Blood of Jesus Christ which was shed once and for all time.  However, Christ's Blood must still be offered at the appropriate time in the Plan of Salvation.  The blood of animals wasn't perfect (i.e., did not make literal atonement for sin) and, therefore, new sacrifices were required each time.  Jesus' Blood, on the other hand, is Perfect and can serve again and again at the appropriate time.  Thus, newly confessed sin (according to the symbol of the ceremonial service) must be transferred to Jesus Christ, first, before it can be transferred to the Holy Place.  Then, it must be transferred to Jesus Christ, again, before it can be transferred to the Most Holy Place.  Why?  Because without blood there is no remission (atonement) for sin and only Jesus Christ can offer His Own Blood in each case.  Thus, finally, those sins will ultimately be transferred, once again, to Jesus Christ so that He can lay them upon the head of the Scapegoat, the Devil, himself.  Only His Blood makes the transference of sin possible and only He is fit to perform this transference.

John 10:17,18  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

I hope that answers your question.  May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark