Seventh-Day Adventists/Confession of sons under New Covenant

Question
I've heard some things from SDA's that have cause me to have great consternation lately about the forgiveness of sins after the Cross:
When we confess our sins, are our sins literally laid upon Jesus before they are transferred to the heavenly sanctuary?
Does Jesus yet take fresh sins upon Him when confessed even Today in heaven???

Answer
Dear Brother Brent:

The fact that SDAs have caused you great consternation over the forgiveness of your sins is very unfortunate. Our sins were (past tense)laid upon Jesus when he hung on the cross. If a Christian sins today Jesus does not take those sins upon himself because he has already done
so when he was crucified. Jesus bore all sin on the cross. The ugliness of sin caused the Father to turn away from the Son as the Son took on all sin. “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice,saying, ‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?’ that is, ‘My God, My God,
why have You forsaken Me?’” (Matthew 27:46 NKJV). He shed his Precious Blood for all sins past, present, and future. If not our Lord would have to be crucified continually for every present and future sin.

“For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year
with blood that is not his own. Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. Just as people are destined to die once, and after
that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him” (Hebrews 9:24-28 NIV).

The sacrifices offered under the Old Covenant were necessarily repeated because they were only pale shadows of the once for all sacrifice of Jesus.

“For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the
worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins?” (Hebrews 10:1, 2 NASB).

The True Sacrifice took away all sin and was offered only once such was its purity.

“And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified” (Hebrews 10:10-14 ESV; 7:27).

Therefore, sins are no longer put on Jesus nor are sins transferred to a heavenly sanctuary. We do confess that we have sinned, but those sins were forgiven at the cross. We confess and God is faithful to apply that forgiveness to us. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and
righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 NASB). So when you sin confess your sin to God and then thank Him for the forgiveness He has already extended to you through the cross of Christ.

Once you believed you were forgiven all sins forever. “And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses” (Colossians 2:13 NKJV). By the blood of Christ you have eternal redemption.

“Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:12-14 NKJV).

The Old Covenant Day of Atonement service typified the once for all sacrifice of Jesus a sacrifice that took away all sins forever. Jesus is the anti-type of the Day of Atonement goat that shed its blood for the forgiveness of sin. “Then he shall kill the goat of the sin offering, which is for the people, bring its blood inside the veil, do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bull, and sprinkle it on the mercy seat and before the mercy seat” (Leviticus 16:15 NKJV; cf v. 9). The difference, of course, is that the blood of Jesus really removes all sin forever.  Jesus is also the anti-type of the scapegoat that had the sins of the people place on it to be carried away.

“Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man. The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to an uninhabited land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness” (Leviticus 16:21-22 NKJV; cf. v. 10). Again the difference is that Jesus takes away all sin forever. The Old Covenant Day of Atonement had to be repeated yearly.

So brother do not be concerned with your forgiveness. You were forgiven once you accepted Jesus as your Lord & Savior. You don't have to worry about your sins having to be put on Jesus in heaven and then wait for them to be transferred to some sanctuary. Our sins were transferred to Jesus when he hung on the cross. Have assurance that your sins have been forgiven don't let SDAs rob you of the gift of assurance.

Thanks for the question.

God Bless you,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal