Seventh-Day Adventists/Confession of sons under New Covenant

Frank wrote at 2012-11-03 02:48:42

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

Dear Brother Brent:

The fact that SDAs have caused you great consternation over the forgiveness of your sins is very unfortunate. Our sins were (past tense) laid upon Jesus when he hung on the cross. If a Christian sins today Jesus does not take those sins upon himself because he has already done so when he was crucified.

<<< Jesus sacrifice was sufficient for all sin. He bore its punishment on the cross so nothing more need be done. Forgiveness is another matter. It is not extended unless the sinner comes to Christ and asks for forgiveness and commits to a new life with Him (baptism). When a Christian sins in ignorance and is made aware of it (Christ will see to that) he is forgiven when he repents. This process is called sanctification and it is a work Christ promises to perform in us if we remain obedient to the end. “And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” (Matthew 10:22 KJV) >>>

Jesus bore all sin on the cross. The ugliness of sin caused the Father to turn away from the Son as the Son took on all sin. “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, ‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?’ that is, ‘My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?’” (Matthew 27:46 NKJV). He shed his Precious Blood for all sins past, present, and future. If not our Lord would have to be crucified continually for every present and future sin.

“For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him” (Hebrews 9:24-28 NIV).

The sacrifices offered under the Old Covenant were necessarily repeated because they were only pale shadows of the once for all sacrifice of Jesus.

“For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the

worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins?” (Hebrews 10:1, 2 NASB). The True Sacrifice took away all sin and was offered only once such was its purity.

<<< The expert has often written the Old Covenant law includes the Ten Commandments as just ten of 613 laws that ended at the cross. These two verses he just quoted say otherwise. The Old Covenant law cannot be the Ten Commandments because there were no sacrifices in its precepts. The law that Paul is writing about is the Law of Moses with its sacrificial ordinances. When Christ died the Ten Commandments did not. He died to establish them, not to do away with them (Romans 3:31). >>>

“And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified” (Hebrews 10:10-14 ESV; 7:27).

<<< As long as the believer remains “in Christ” he is seen by God as having no sin. >>>

Therefore, sins are no longer put on Jesus nor are sins transferred to a heavenly sanctuary.

<<< “Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?” (Psalms 77:13 KJV) The entire plan of salvation can be seen in the Hebrew sanctuary and its services. Christ paid the penalty for our sins on the cross. They were all put on Him while he was on the cross. However, sins are not transferred to the heavenly sanctuary unless they are confessed and unless they are in the heavenly sanctuary they cannot be forgiven. >>>  

We do confess that we have sinned, but those sins were forgiven at the cross.

<<< “And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” (Ephesians 4:30 KJV) The only sin believers need be concerned with is the one that cannot be forgiven. Unforsaken sin cannot be forgiven. If there is any cherished sin in the life of the believer it must be confessed and forsaken. It is only when the convicting power of the Holy Spirit is no longer felt by the believer that there is no more sacrifice for sins. This phrase does not mean Christ sacrifices Himself every time a sin is confessed. It means Jesus is no longer able to plead the merits of His atoning sacrifice made on Calvary in behalf of that individual. >>>

We confess and God is faithful to apply that forgiveness to us. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 NASB). So when you sin confess your sin to God and then thank Him for the forgiveness He has already extended to you through the cross of Christ.

Once you believed you were forgiven all sins forever. “And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses” (Colossians 2:13 NKJV). By the blood of Christ you have eternal redemption.

<<< Nowhere does the Bible indicate we can sin believing we will be forgiven. “For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.” (Hebrews 10:26-27 KJV) Christ forgives sins that are confessed and forsaken. If we continue in sin after having confessed them it makes us out to be liars. “He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4 KJV) >>>

“Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:12-14 NKJV).

<<< “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.” (Hebrews 9:12 KJV)  The word the NKJV translators translated as Most Holy Place is “hagia”. Paul never uses the Hebrew word “hagia” to refer to the Most Holy Place. It is always used to refer to the Holy Place or the sanctuary as a whole. “hagia hagiOn” is the Hebrew for Most Holy Place (Holy of Holies) as used by Paul in Hebrews (see Hebrews 9:3). >>>

The Old Covenant Day of Atonement service typified the once for all sacrifice of Jesus a sacrifice that took away all sins forever. Jesus is the anti-type of the Day of Atonement goat that shed its blood for the forgiveness of sin. “Then he shall kill the goat of the sin offering, which is for the people, bring its blood inside the veil, do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bull, and sprinkle it on the mercy seat and before the mercy seat” (Leviticus 16:15 NKJV; cf v. 9). The difference, of course, is that the blood of Jesus really removes all sin forever.  Jesus is also the anti-type of the scapegoat that had the sins of the people place on it to be carried away.

<<< The anti-type of the Day of Atonement is Jesus’ work in the Most  Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary that began in the fall of 1844, as was prophesied by the 2300 day/year prophecy in Daniel chapter 8. “And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. (Daniel 8:14 KJV) >>>

“Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man. The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to an uninhabited land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness” (Leviticus 16:21-22 NKJV; cf. v. 10). Again the difference is that Jesus takes away all sin forever. The Old Covenant Day of Atonement had to be repeated yearly.

<<< Christ is the High Priest who places the sins of the people, not upon Himself, that was done at Calvary, but upon Satan who is to bear the ultimate penalty for having deceived the innocent pair in the garden, into sin. The wilderness is the desolate earth after the Saints are raised and taken to heaven for a thousand years. >>>    

So brother, do not be concerned with your forgiveness. You were forgiven once you accepted Jesus as your Lord & Savior. You don't have to worry about your sins having to be put on Jesus in heaven and then wait for them to be transferred to some sanctuary. Our sins were transferred to Jesus when he hung on the cross. Have assurance that your sins have been forgiven don't let SDAs rob you of the gift of assurance.

<<< “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV)

Jesus power is greater than the power of sin. As long as the believer remains faithful to the Holy Spirit, he will be saved. “And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.” (1 John 2:17 KJV) >>>

Thanks for the question.

God Bless you,

Brother Sal  

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics