Seventh-Day Adventists/Matthew 5:17-19 and the Sabbath.

John wrote at 2012-10-09 17:04:26
Peter,

A lengthy opus does not necessarily make someone an expert.  Sal has been using various arrangements of that same answer for nearly 10 years now.  However just like Mitt Romney reminded us in the recent presidential debate, repeating the same thing over and over again does not mean that it’s true…

"Look, I’ve got five boys," I’m used to people saying something that’s not always true but just keep on repeating it and ultimately hoping I’ll believe it.”

We all need to open our Bibles and pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit to find the answers for ourselves instead of relying on mere human ‘experts’ (of which there are many today).  Second Timothy 4 verses 3 and 4 warn of us of the dangers of taking advice from them…

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”

Study the Bible for yourself to determine if this SDA is telling you the truth.  On the other hand if you are looking for the quick and easy answer without expending that effort then Sal is most assuredly your man.  Regardless of which path you choose to take, that responsibility is ultimately yours.

Maranatha!!

John

Frank wrote at 2012-10-14 03:53:12
<<< The expert's answer: >>>

Dear Brother Peter:

“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:17-19 NASB).

Immediately let’s note that the SDA Church teaches its members to read v. 17 in a different manner than the rest of Christian churches. They teach that it says, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Ten Commandments. I have come not to abolish them, but to continue them.” This way of reading v. 17 has been reported by ex-SDAs and confirmed by my own work with current SDAs.

<<< The expert, while working against the SDA Church, does not always properly present the beliefs and teachings of the Church. He writes from the point of view of one who rejects their major doctrines and says they are not supported by the Bible. Of course SDA's respectfully disagree. The expert's understanding of the Ten Commandments is different from that of SDA's. SDA's believe the Decalogue encompasses every possible violation of the moral law.   The expert does not. The expert believes the Apostles gave the New Covenant "law of Christ". SDA's believe the Apostles gave no new commandments. >>>  

Now, does 5:17 & 18 follow this pattern? I believe that the answer is emphatically “yes”. Jesus uses the key term “the law or the prophets”. This term means all the laws found in the Books of Moses (the first five books of the Bible) and all the writings of the prophets, these all pointed to Jesus. He was not abolishing any of these, but fulfilling them all. “Now He said to them, ‘These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled’” (Luke 24:44 NASB).  

<<< Jesus never killed anyone. Is that a valid reason to assume the law that says "thou shalt not kill" ended at the cross? Christ never violated the Sabbath. Does that mean He died to do away with it? This teaching is a gross perversion of the truth. The moral law never ends. The written law that condemns lasts until sin and sinners are no more. Its principles will have been written in the hearts and minds of believers, they  will have been resurrected at the second coming, given immortal, perfect bodies, participated in the judgment of the wicked and returned to the earth with the New Jerusalem. The earth is then cleansed of sin and sinners. Sin will never again mar the beauty and holiness of the universe. >>>

In doing this Jesus is bringing them to their God-ordained conclusion. “Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes” (Romans 10:4 NIV). If Jesus meant only the Ten Commandments he would have had to specify that since his use of “the law” would automatically cause his hearers to recall the entire Old Covenant Law.  

<<< Paul, in Romans,  was speaking of the Jewish system of worship with its sacrifices and ritual laws that were a provisional means of atonement for sin until Christ should accomplish His atoning sacrifice at Calvary. Jesus fulfilled the moral law in the sense of having lived in perfect obedience to the commandments. He did that by doing only that which hid Father asked Him to do. He lived a righteous life in perfect obedience to the will of His father (see John 15:10). >>>

Jesus used a similar term “the law and the prophets” two times in Matthew. “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” (7:12 NASB). This is not from the Ten Commandments, but from the teaching expressed in Leviticus 19:18.

<<< The law against avenging or bearing a grudge found in Leviticus 19:18 is a principle of the 6th commandment of the Decalogue that says "thou shalt not kill". The last six commandments of the Decalogue are the principles of the law that says "love thy neighbor as thyself". >>>

“On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets” (22:40 NKJV). The two commandments spoken of by Jesus in 22:40 are not from the Ten Commandments, but from the other 603 laws of the Old Covenant (see Deuteronomy 6:5 & Leviticus 19:18).

<<< As has already been stated in these responses to the expert's answers, the two commandments he says are not written in stone as part of the moral law are the foundational principles of the law written in stone. >>>

This should help one to see clearly that Jesus meant more than the Ten Commandments when he said, “the law or the prophets”.

<<<  The Ten Commandments define sin and morality. The law and the prophets spoke of the broken law and Christ who is the remedy for its transgression. >>>

The other key term of v. 17 is “fulfill”. Matthew uses this term 14 times besides the usage in v. 17 (1:22-23; 2:15; 2:17; 2:23; 3:15; 4:14-16; 8:17; 12:17-21; 13:14-15, 34-35; 21:4-5; 26:53-54, 56; 27:9-10). From these usages we learn that fulfill almost always means to complete and end. Jesus brings the law and the prophets to their intended goal. He does not permit us to simply continue with the Old Covenant laws.

<<< The Ten Commandments is the law of the Abrahamic (New) Covenant. When the Old Covenant law of Moses ended the Ten Commandments did not. >>>

He has fulfilled and completed them. They have no force over Christians. “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law” (Galatians 5:18 NASB). The SDA teaching that the Sabbath command is still binding because of 5:17 is not found in a proper exegesis of the text. The context does not even mention the Sabbath, therefore, the SDA has no basis for the claim that in 5:17 Jesus meant to continue the Sabbath.

<<< Jesus fulfilled all the Old Covenant types which means he brought them to an end. The purpose of the law and the prophets was to reveal Christ as savior. The Ten Commandments were not given to reveal Christ as savior. They were given to reveal our need for a savior. It is the Jewish ceremonial law that revealed the savior. Does keeping the commandments perfectly end them? Obviously not. As the apostle Paul explains it, "they are established" (see Romans 3:31). >>>

The SDA interpretation of v.18 is very flawed. They see “the law” as the Ten Commandments none of which will pass away. This is nothing more than a denominational interpretation aimed at convincing the person that is not astute in Bible interpretation that one must keep the Old Covenant sign, the 7th day Sabbath. The major problem with the SDA interpretation is that the law always means the entire 613 laws of the Old Covenant. Nowhere in the Bible are we given permission to separate these laws.

<<< It is the Lord that wrote the Ten Commandments in stone and directed that they be placed in the ark and had Moses write the laws for the new nation and place them in the side of the ark, separate from the Ten Commandments."And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it." (Deuteronomy 4:13, 14 KJV)

The apostle Paul, who was an expert in the law when he was a Pharisee, tells us there were ordinances of divine service and a worldly sanctuary as part of the law of Moses (see Hebrews 9:1). These also were separate from the Ten Commandments. >>>

Accordingly, if the SDA interpretation of v. 18 were correct it would mean that all 613 laws of the Old Covenant are still in effect! This, of course, is absurd. However, it is the logical result of their flawed theology.

<<< SDA Christians believe that it is the expert's theology that is flawed. >>>

The key part of v. 18 that is overlooked, either purposely or subconsciously, by SDA apologists is “…not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.” This closing phrase is extremely important to the understanding this passage. The Old Covenant, all of it, is done away with because in Christ Jesus it has all come true. Therefore, even if “the law” meant only the Ten Commandments they would not be binding on us today because of the important phrase “until all is accomplished” or “fulfilled”. Once fulfilled, the law and the prophets have reached their intended goal of leading us to Christ. Then the law, like a tutor, is dismissed.

<<< The law of Moses with its ritual law was the tutor. It taught the people that the remedy for sin was the promised savior through their sacrifices and ceremonies. It is the broken law that sent Christ to the cross. He didn't dismiss the moral law by His atoning sacrifice. He offers us forgiveness if we are truly repentant and gives us the power to keep it in the person of the Holy Spirit. If the law could have been changed or ended, Christ's sacrifice was unnecessary. Because the law is immutable and absolute, the only remedy for its transgression was for our creator to become our redeemer by enduring our punishment for having transgressed it. >>>

“But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor” (Galatians 3:23-25 NASB).

<<< The broken law (the Ten Commandments) reveals our need for a savior. Had it not been transgressed, it's principles written in the heart and mind would have guaranteed the peace and harmony of the new race, forever. The ceremonial remedy for sin under the law of Moses revealed the savior. It is through faith in Christ for forgiveness of sins and for victory over the weakness of the flesh that fallen man is restored  to favor with God. No longer are we under the condemnation of the law as its principles are established in the hearts and minds of believers. As has already been stated once in this response but bears being restated, "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31 KJV) >>>

This passage is extremely clear that the Old Covenant Law, that includes the 7th day Sabbath, is no longer in effect for Christians. We now answer to a higher moral code (see Matthew 5:20-48; John 13:34, 15:12). This moral code is called the Law of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 9:21; Galatians 6:2).

<<< The Ten Commandment law is the moral code. It is through faith in Christ for forgiveness of sins and love for one another, that by the power of the Holy Spirit the principles of the law are established in believers. As they are led by the Holy Spirit, they will be in compliance with the moral law. The motivating principle of the law is love and it is sometimes referred to by Paul as the law of Christ. "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2 KJV) The law of Christ is to love our neighbor as ourselves and this how we are brought into compliance with the last six Commandments of the Decalogue. It is love for God that brings us into compliance with the first four Commandments. >>>

The context of vs. 17 & 18 is that the entire Old Covenant is to remain in force until Jesus fulfills it all.  Once “all is accomplished” it all becomes obsolete.

<<< The law of the everlasting covenant (Old and New) is eternal. "The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness." (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) Jesus went to the cross because Adam and Eve broke the moral law. There is no reason in heaven or on earth to suggest that the moral law became obsolete when Christ died on the cross. Morality as defined by God cannot change. "For I am the LORD, I change not..." (Malachi 3:6 KJV). The law that defines morality cannot change or Christ would not have died to uphold the law for believers while enduring the punishment for its transgression.

"SDA's say the Ten Commandments are a transcript of God's character. And why wouldn't they be? If we love God and love one another, then we are exemplifying the principles of God's government. That is what the children of Israel were called to do as a witness to the world when they heard it spoken from Sinai. They were to be an example of how God would bless those nations who keep His commandments. >>>

“Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man. Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter” (Romans 7:1-6 NASB; cf. 8:1, 2; 10:4; Galatians 2:16; 3:23-26; 5:18).

<<< There is no forgiveness in attempting to keep the moral law apart from a saving relationship in Christ. It was not until the cross that the law of Moses and the Levitical Priesthood with its sacrifices and feasts that were shadows of the plan of salvation, came to an end. under the ratified New Covenant, if we are not walking with Christ we are walking in sin. >>>

It should not be a new or unique idea to Bible-believing Christians that the Old Covenant should become obsolete.

<<< The covenant became obsolete because the savior that the Mosaic Covenant was given to reveal has accomplished the atoning sacrifice and has become our High Priest. The ritual law, given because of sin, is ended as Christ is its fulfillment. Now when the principles of the Ten Commandment law are transgressed we confess our sins to God for forgiveness. Animal sacrifices and food offerings are no longer required. The entire Jewish system of worship with its yearly feasts and associated sabbaths are no longer requirements of the law. Christ is their fulfillment. >>>

The Bible is clear that it was always God’s intention for the Old Covenant to end. The Bible says that the Ten Commandments, which were the heart of the Old Covenant (Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 4:13), were always destined to pass away (see 2 Corinthians 3:7-11); that the Old Covenant was given to Israel only for a divinely appointed time period ending with the coming of Christ (Galatians 3:17-19); that we are to cast out the Old Covenant (Galatians 4:21-31) after it leads us to Christ (Galatians 3:23-26).

<<< The Ten Commandments are the words of the everlasting Covenant. The Mosaic (Old) Covenant, written on paper, ended at the cross. The New Covenant law (Ten Commandment law) is written in the heart and mind by Christ as it was written in the hearts of Adam and Eve when they were created. The Covenant was taken from the children of Israel "because they continued not in my covenant" (Hebrews 8:9) and given to "spiritual Israel". Jesus told the Pharisees, "Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof." (Matthew 21:43 KJV) >>>

Even if these clear Scriptures were not known one could logically infer that the Old Covenant becomes obsolete once the New Covenant is established. Why live under the Old way when the New is superior? “But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises” (Hebrews 8:6 NKJV). This shows the Old Covenant to be obsolete since the New is “a better covenant”. Paul then logically concludes that the inferior first covenant has become obsolete. “By calling this covenant ‘new,’ he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear” (Hebrews 8:13 NIV). The fact that it was God’s will to completely take away the Old Covenant is overlooked or ignored by the SDA hierarchy. They prefer to believe it was only some of the Covenant that was taken away not all of it.

<<< The "Old Covenant" was not taken away. The Mosaic law became obsolete when Christ fulfilled its types and shadows on the cross. Thou shalt not kill is not a type or a shadow. Thou shalt not commit adultery is not a type or a shadow. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy is not a type or shadow. Honor thy father and thy mother is not a type or a shadow. None of the Ten Commandments are types or shadows. The "better promises" are the promise of forgiveness of sins, and of the grace of God to renew the heart, and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. >>>  

In order to further bring out the fact that “the law” in vs. 17 & 18 refers to all the Old Covenant laws as well as all the teachings of the Hebrew Bible, let’s look first at clear Biblical evidence that Jesus meant more than the Ten Commandments. “Jesus answered: ‘Is it not written in your law…’” (John 10:34). Then Jesus quotes from Psalm 82:6 not from the Ten Commandments or even from the Torah.

<<< When Jesus says "your law" (law of Moses) to the Pharisees he is distinguishing it from "His law" (the Ten Commandments). The Pharisees had added so many of their own laws to the law of Moses that Jesus would no longer acknowledge that it originally came from Him. >>>

Another such example is “However, this only fulfills the text in their law…” (John 15:25). Then Jesus quotes from Psalm 69:5.

<<< One can only wonder why the expert suggests SDA's exhibit some characteristics of a cult because one of its members wrote a paraphrase of the Bible while he uses a paraphrased Bible text here. Nonetheless his reasoning is bankrupt as the Ten Commandments and the law of Moses are not inseparable. When Jesus says "your law" he is referring exclusively to the law of Moses to which they had added many of their own laws to guarantee their compliance to the Ten Commandments. >>>  

Next let’s look at an example showing that the Jews of Jesus’ day understood “the law” to refer to more than the Ten Commandments or the Books of Moses. “The crowd objected to his words: ‘We have heard it said in the law that the Messiah is to remain forever’” (John 12:34). This concept is found in Psalm 89:37. So in all three examples the Psalms are called “the law”. This proves that by “the law” is meant something more than the Ten Commandments or even the Books of Moses. It is only the SDA hierarchy that believes that “the law” equals the Ten Commandments. This they believe despite the clear Biblical evidence to the contrary. Further evidence comes from Paul. In his Letter to the Romans, Paul quotes from Psalms, Proverbs, and Isaiah and calls them “the law” (see 3:10-19).

We read in his first Letter to the Corinthians, “It is written in the law…” (14:21). Then Paul quotes from Isaiah 28:11-12. All this serves to show that the use of the term “law” was often used as an easy way to refer to the teachings of the Hebrew Bible. In Matthew 5:17-18 Jesus was simply using a form of speech prevalent in his day to refer to the entire Hebrew Bible.

<<< The entire Old Testament is the inspired word of God. Why does the expert present Messianic prophecies as proof that the law is one law that ended at the cross? The law was given at Sinai. The prophets gave no new laws. The psalmists gave no new laws. There were no new laws given in the book of proverbs or Ecclesiastes. The distinction between God's forever and ever moral law and the ceremonial law is distinct and clear. >>>

To sum up, we have seen that the Biblical evidence is clear that Matthew 5:17-19 is Jesus assuring the people that he has not come to destroy the Old Religion. He is the fulfillment of that which the Hebrew Scriptures pointed to. He is the goal of the Old Covenant Law that the Jews so revered.  He is the fulfillment of what the great prophets spoke so magnificently of. Jesus reveals to the people that not the smallest part of the smallest letter will be taken away until it all comes true. Jesus further confirms the Law by saying that if one breaks the least of the 613 Old Covenant laws they will find themselves in God’s disfavor. If one keeps all the laws of the Old Covenant one will be in God’s favor because all the 613 laws are still in effect until he fulfills them all. Then, and only then, the entire Old Covenant will become obsolete giving way to the New Covenant. “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me” (1 Corinthians 11:25 NIV). Let us note that we not only have a new covenant, but a new sign of that covenant—the Lord’s Supper. There is no place for the 7th day Sabbath in the New Covenant. This is a hard exegetical fact for the SDA Church to accept so they prefer to remain in an Old Covenant mindset.

<<< The expert is an accomplished story teller. He wraps his beliefs in shiny paper and pretty bows and presents them as truth. The belief that says the lord's Supper replaced the 4th Commandment is not truth. It isn't in his pretty package. The Lord's Supper replaced the Passover. Also, His belief that the Sabbath of the 4th commandment is the Old Covenant is not truth. It isn't in his pretty package either. >>>   

In the New Covenant, “a better covenant”, Jesus reveals a new higher standard of conduct for his people. “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20 NASB).  

<<< The righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees was not the standard. Jesus revealed that their hearts were corrupt and they were not to be held up as examples of righteous living. >>>

Then he gives concrete examples of the superiority of the New Covenant morality (see Matthew 5:21-48). Paul calls this New Way the Law of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 9:21; Galatians 6:2). The great commandment of the New Law is to love. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35 NIV; see also 15:9-17). The righteousness of God’s people is no longer determined by conformity to Old Covenant rules, regulations, and sacrifices, but by conformity to the teachings of Jesus, the New Law Giver. The Old Covenant only possessed mere shadows that Jesus was to perfect. “So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ” (Colossians 2:16-17 NKJV).

<<< This is another pretty package full of error. The Ten Commandments are the standard of righteousness in the judgment. Colossians 2:16 shadows are the ceremonial ordinances and Jewish feasts that were types of Christ's atoning sacrifice and resulting ministry as our High Priest (don't believe it? read Hebrews). >>>

It was absolutely necessary that the entire Old Covenant pass away in order for the New Covenant to be fully established with its unique mark—a universal Church.

<<< The Ten Commandments did not nor could they pass away.          

"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished." (Isaiah 51: 6 KJV)

"My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness." (Psalms 119:172) >>>

“Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called ‘uncircumcised’ by those who call themselves ‘the circumcision’ (which is done in the body by human hands)— remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations.

<<< The law that divided Jew and Gentile was the ceremonial law that the Jews made exclusive to them. God did not intend for the Jews to do that (see Isaiah 56:6-8). This law, they believed, exalted them above all the nations as God's elect. The abolishing of the Jewish system of worship put them all on a level playing field as all were justified through faith in Christ apart from the works of the Jewish law. >>>

His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit” (Ephesians 2:11-22 NIV).

When the best arrives the good must disappear. John the Baptist illustrated this for us. “He must increase, while I must decrease” (John 3:30 NASB). John was good as a herald of the coming Christ, but the Christ is far better. Likewise, the Old Covenant was good as a herald of the coming New Covenant, but once the New Covenant arrived the Old Covenant had to be removed.

<<< The law of the Covenant (Ten Commandments) did not and cannot change. It is as eternal as the law giver. It is a transcript of His character. It is truth. "Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth." (Psalms 119:142 KJV) Christ, through His death on the cross brought to an end the system of types and shadows that was given to keep in remembrance the promised savior. >>>

So it is with the sign of the good Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath (see Exodus 31:13, 16-17), it disappears in order to make room for the superior New Covenant.

<<< The New (Abrahamic) Covenant is superior because the blood of bulls and goats could not atone for sins, "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." (Hebrews 10:4 KJV) The blood of Christ cleanses from sin and its defilement. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9 KJV) The law that defines morality and points out sin is the Decalogue. "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." (Romans 7:7 KJV) >>>

This truth is illustrated for us by the incident on the Mount of Transfiguration. There Moses and Elijah representing the Law and the prophets are removed from the scene leaving only Jesus and his better covenant (see Matthew 17:1-8). Christians, with the exception of sabbatarians, joyfully accept the superior Sabbath rest of the New Covenant—Jesus. We no longer physically rest on a day. We now have a greater spiritual rest in a person.

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NASB).

<<< The 4th commandment isn't just about one day of the week. The moral law speaks to our physical well being as well as our spiritual well being and the 4th Commandment promotes both. The expert says we no longer physically rest on a day, we rest in the person of Christ. Those who truly rest in the person of Christ keep His commandments and that includes the 4th Commandment of the Decalogue. "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:25 KJV)

The rest in Christ is the rest from the bondage of sin and the fearful expectation of a coming judgment. "The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable." (Isaiah 42:21 KJV) The commandment that was given for our benefit has been perverted and its benefits are lost to the world. >>>

Thanks for allowing me to help!

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ's love,

Frank >>>

Isaiah 42:21KJV  "The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable."  

Sabbathismyfavouriteday wrote at 2013-03-09 08:18:50
So God himself rested on the seventh day from all his work - Genesis 2v2. We also know that we were made in God's image. So now that Jesus has come we know longer need a day of rest even though that is what God did...? I wonder why you don't want people to dedicate a day to resting in God? The issue of the Sabbath can be interpreted in only two ways. Either you want to spend a day resting in God or you don't. If you don't you will find a way to not follow that particular commandment but still use 'Thou shalt not kill' and 'Thou shalt not commit adultery' when speaking to the unsaved.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal