Seventh-Day Adventists/New Covenant sins

Question
QUESTION: Patricia,
I wrestling over some things heard taught by SDA's...
Do you understand that when we confess our sins, are our sins literally laid upon Jesus before they are transferred to the heavenly sanctuary?
Is it true that Jesus is taking fresh sins upon Himself when confessed after the Cross?

ANSWER: Hello Brent,

Thank you for your questions.

You asked: “Do you understand that when we confess our sins, are our sins literally laid upon Jesus before they are transferred to the heavenly sanctuary? Is it true that Jesus is taking fresh sins upon Himself when confessed after the Cross?”

No, that is not my understanding and furthermore, that is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that Jesus bore all of our sins (past, present and future sins) on the Cross; He died one time for all of us and for all our sins. Since He has already paid for all of our sins, there are no fresh ones.

Jesus operates on blood economy. In the Old Testament, the blood of animals pointed to Jesus sacrifice for sins.  The New Testament records the shedding of Jesus’ blood, NOT DAILY, but ONE TIME FOR ALL. Jesus shed blood was accepted by the Father and His shed blood is proof of payment that our sins have been forgiven.

Hebrews 7:27(NIV)
27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day , first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

1 Peter 3:18 (NIV)
18 For Christ died for sins once for all , the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God . He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,

Hebrews 9:25 (NIV)
Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again , the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.

Hebrews 10:10 (NIV)
10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all .

When Jesus died on the Cross, He bore the sins of the world and His atonement was completely finished on the Cross. Before He died, He said, “It is finished.” However, His gift can only be appropriated to those that believe and accept it by faith.

Only the blood of Jesus can wash away and forgive our sins.  The Bible says…

Hebrews 9:22 (NIV)
22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood , and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Jesus is not in heaven shedding blood again and again, so there are no fresh sins that can be forgiven. As Omniscient God, He knew all of our sins before He died on the cross and He still willingly died for them.

When an unbeliever comes to Christ, confess his sins and believe on Him, Jesus cleanses him from ALL unrighteousness and declares him to be the righteousness of God. There is no more blood to be shed.  Our past, present and future sins are forgiven.  Our righteousness is accomplished simply because God declares it and because of what Jesus did and not because of anything that we have done or can do.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)
21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us , so that in him we might become the righteousness of God .

Not one sin is transferred to the heavenly sanctuary . They were transferred to Jesus at Calvary and He paid the penalty of death for them for us .  Jesus forgives and Jesus forgets. The Bible says….

Hebrews 8:12 (KJV)
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness , and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

As New Covenant believers, our sins and omissions are not charged to us. Why won't God impute our sins against us? The answer is because God has already imputed our sins on Jesus when He hung on the Cross.  God took our charges and placed them on the Master’s Card and they will not be counted against us . Jesus became sin for us . Jesus paid the penalty for us . Jesus received the wrath of God for us and Jesus satisfied our account for us because we couldn't. The New Covenant is all about Jesus and what He has done for us .

1 Peter 2:24 (NIV)
24  He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree , so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

For God to impute or charge sin to us would be like calling the blood of His Son Jesus worthless! God would have to dishonor everything Jesus did if He charged our sins against us and He will NOT dishonor His Son! The only thing God is counting against believers is His righteousness . He died that we might be reconciled to the Father and that we might become the righteousness of God. This act of pure love makes believers want to please God and not live in sin because of His great sacrifice for us. When we mess up, we tell Him we are sorry as a friend would tell a friend and we go on with life because we KNOW that we are already forgiven. This is truly the Good News of God’s amazing grace!

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NIV)
8  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- 9  not by works, so that no one can boast.

I hope I have answered your questions. May God richly bless you!

QUESTION: Hi Patricia,
Again thank you for your well explained answer to my question...
Are you answering me from the 'Adventist', 'heavenly  sanctuary' or as a concerned Christian who wants to help people not fall into Adventist errors?
Because my reason for asking you was to know do Adventists teach and believe... I heard a presentation by Adventist saying that when sins are confessed they are placed upon Jesus before transferred to the 'heavenly sanctuary'...
My question is do 'Adventists' all understand this? AND do Adventists believe Jesus is receiving new sins then...

I know what the truth is but wanted you to help me know how Adventists view this which was taught, which seemed to come from Adventist literature... The Great Controversy???

Thx again

Answer
Hello Brent,

I am happy that my last answer was helpful.

As a former Seventh-day Adventist, all of my answers come from the premise of me being a concerned Christian who wants to help people leave and/or not fall into the errors of the SDA church. For this purpose, I started a blog which can be located at:
http://patricia-allen.blogspot.com/

I haven't updated it in a while since this site takes up a lot of my time. I simply linked this site to my blog.

I am all too familiar with the book, The Great Controversy . It contains error upon error both historically and doctrinally. The SDA church is distributing this book under the guise of another title, The Great Hope , to millions of unsuspecting people for free beginning this year through 2013. Following is a link with details of this project:

http://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/2011/06/the-great-controversy-project

Furthermore, even though Ellen White claimed she wrote The Great Controversy and was inspired by God, research has proven that statement to be false. The Great Controversy was mostly copied from other authors without giving them the credit. See the following link:

http://www.ellenwhiteexposed.com/rea/gcm.htm

SDAs speak the same language as mainstream Christians but their meanings are quite different. For instance, mainstream Christians and SDAs say and believe that we are saved by grace through faith but even though SDAs won't come out and say it, they also believe that Sabbath keeping is the seal of God and those who will be saved will have God's seal. That is heresy!

Following is what their prohpet, Ellen White, writes....

"The Sabbath is the great dividing issue that will separate the true believers in God from those who are not true Christians. Sabbath observance is the identifying mark of the remnant church (Rev. 12:17). At the end of time, every Christian will be tested upon whether or not they are willing to accept the Sabbath truth. Those who do not accept the Sabbath will receive the Mark of the Beast and go to Hell . Those who accept the Sabbath will receive the Seal of God and go to Heaven . According to Ellen White, the day a Christian chooses to worship upon is what marks the difference between those loyal to God and those disloyal:

"The Sabbath is the great test question. It is the line of demarcation between the loyal and true and the disloyal and transgressor. ... It is the seal of the living God ." Ellen White, Selected Messages , Book 3, p. 423.

"Thus the distinction is drawn between the loyal and the disloyal. Those who desire to have the seal of God in their foreheads must keep the Sabbath of the fourth commandment . Thus they are distinguished from the disloyal, who have accepted a man-made institution in place of the true Sabbath. The observance of God's rest day is a mark of distinction between him that serveth God and him that serveth Him not."  Ellen White, Review & Herald , April 23, 1901. Mrs. White also wrote the following: "The sign, or seal, of God is revealed in the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath, the Lord's memorial of creation" (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, p. 117). Also: "...Too late they see that the Sabbath of the fourth commandment is the seal of the living God" (The Great Controversy , p. 640).

This is the subtlety and deception of Adventism. In essence, what they REALLY believe is that they are saved by grace through faith PLUS keeping the 7th day Sabbath because they cannot be saved unless they have what they believe to be God's seal. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit is the seal, deposit and guarantee of salvation . If you ask an SDA outright if one has to keep the Sabbath to be saved, they will answer, "No!" yet I just shared with you what they believe quoted by their prophet and continues to be sold in their books from their publishing houses and stores.

Ephesians 4:30 (NIV)
30  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NIV)
21  Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us,
22  set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come .

I believe most Adventists are quite sincere in their beliefs. Some are still in the church because they don't want to take a chance with the Sabbath 'just in case'. The problem isn't that they don't study, the problem is that they believe Ellen White's and the church's interpretation of Scripture instead of allowing the Spirit to guide them. I was one of them since childhood and really never seriously questioned my beliefs because I thought they were biblical. I later discovered how key Scriptures are omitted and others taken out of context. Only the Lord knows how I truly felt after discovering that the church deliberately deceived me and continues to deceive. I say 'deliberately' because back in 1919, the leaders knew Ellen While wasn't what she claimed to be and refused to share it with its members. This is why I do all I can to wake up the sleeping babies and giants.

So like the monk, Martin Luther, I say, "Here I stand. I can do no other. May God help me!"

God bless,  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen