Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath

QUESTION: I've been an S.D.A. all of my life. I was a T.K. I left the Church when I was old enough to and walk in the world for many many years. I came back to the Church about 13 years ago now' through marriage.[long story]. I never have beleaved that by keeping the sabbath you are saved but isn't it at least part of the equation. And what is the seal of GOD or mark of the beast????  
         CONFUSED!!!!!  Brother in the LORD

ANSWER: Hello Eric,

Thank you so much for your question regarding the Sabbath. My answer is a little lengthy but I pray that it will be helpful.

According to Genesis, on the 7th day of creation God rested .

Genesis 2:1-3 (KJV)
1  Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2  And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3  And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

To say that Adam and Eve rested with Him is adding to Scripture. Also, to say that the law given at Mt. Sinai was effective in Eden is also adding to Scripture. The Bible plainly says that BEFORE the law was given, sin was in the world.

Romans 5:13 (NIV)
13  for before the law was given, sin was in the world . But sin is not taken into account when there is no law.

Adam and Eve sinned by breaking one of two commandments that God have given them and that command was to not eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The one thing that God warned them not to do, they did and reaped the consequences.

SDAs teach that the Sabbath began in the Garden of Eden but they cannot prove it. There is no record of anyone keeping the Sabbath until after the children of Israel had been delivered from Egypt (see Exodus 16). When God destroyed the entire world because of wickedness and when Noah and his family were permitted to leave the ark, God gave them instructions and even made a covenant with them but there is no reference of reminding them  to keep the Sabbath nor did God threaten to destroy the earth again if they didn’t.

Think about it! Why isn’t there a record of anyone keeping the Sabbath prior to Sinai? Why is there no mention of the word Sabbath before Sinai or Exodus 16? Why was (according to the Bible) the Sabbath given to the Jews/Israelites and not the other Gentile nations? Why would anyone take the commentary of a woman (Ellen White) over the Bible?

The Sabbath was given to the Jews/Israelites because they had been set apart by God to be His special people.

Exodus 19:5-6 (NIV)
5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine,
6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites."

Setting aside a special people was the fulfillment of a promise made to Abraham. God promised Abraham that he would be the father of so many descendants that he would be unable to count them. Abraham had two sons, one son (Ishmael, the ancestor of the Arabs) from Hagar, the slave woman, and one son (Isaac, the ancestor of Israel) from his wife Sarah, the free woman. According to the Bible, Abraham’s seed would be recognized through Isaac, the son of the free woman (Romans 9:7).

Isaac and Rebekah had twin sons (Jacob and Esau) and before they were born God told Rebekah that the younger would rule over the older son. God also told Rebekah that He loved Jacob and hated Esau.

Romans 9:10-13 NLT
10This son was our ancestor Isaac. When he married Rebekah, she gave birth to twins.11But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to his own purposes;12he calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, “Your older son will serve your younger son.”13In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.”

The promise would come through Jacob whose name was changed to Israel, thus the Israelites came into existence. The Jews are descendants of Jacob’s son, Judah.

Again, think about it! When the Israelites were delivered by God from Egypt, is there any mention in the Bible about God reminding them to keep the Sabbath that their forefathers kept? The answer is no. SDAs like to say that because they had been in slavery for 400 years, they had forgotten about the Sabbath but God would have remembered and would have warned them of the consequences of not keeping the Sabbath holy but He didn’t. Why? Because the Sabbath had not been given to any people or nation as yet.

Please note that from the beginning, there was just Adam and Eve, no nationality, just children of God. This is the argument that SDAs use. They say the Ten Commandments, including the Sabbath was effective in Eden, which means it could not have been given just to the Jews because there were no Jews at the time. Ask them to show you where Adam and Eve or anyone else kept the Sabbath before God made Israel a nation. They cannot show it to you from Scripture.  It was only when God promised and fulfilled His promise to Abraham that the world became divided into two classes: Jews and Gentiles (non-Jews). The distinction between Jews and Gentiles are replete and consistent throughout Scripture. The Jews were set aside as God’s special possession to be a blessing to the other nations and the Gentiles were without the law and foreigners of the covenant given to Israel.

Romans 2:14-15 (NIV)
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law , do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

In fact, according to the Bible, the Ten Commandments were the words of the covenant with Israel.

Exodus 34:28 (AMP)
28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he ate no bread and drank no water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

I believe it is significant that when Jesus took on human flesh, He came to earth as a Jew. Why not a Gentile?  The answer is because the written law given on Mt. Sinai was given to the Jews/Israelites only and Jesus came as a Jew to fulfill (not destroy) the law because the Jews found it impossible to keep. Jesus also came to bear the sins of the world for all who would believe on Him and to reconcile us to the Father.

You might recall from Bible study that when Jesus was about to ascend to heaven after the resurrection, He told His disciples to preach the Good News to all the world BUT they were to go to the Jews FIRST. They were not allowed to preach to the Gentiles until they were no longer welcomed by the Jews. This is why the disciples would meet with the Jews and Gentile proselytes (Gentiles who had converted to Judaism) on the Sabbath after the resurrection. They were simply carrying out God’s commands. SDAs use this as proof that the Sabbath was still in effect. Even though it had beennailed to the Cross, the Jews who did not believe Jesus to be the Messiah kept it alive. They continued to try to live under the terms of the Old Covenant whose condition was perfect obedience. Their entire life was based on the law and since they did not believe Jesus was the fulfillment of and Substitute for perfect obedience of the law, they continued to be led by the law instead of the Spirit.

One important fact that I would like to point out is that Jesus as a Jew kept the Jewish Sabbath before His death but after the resurrection there is no mention of Jesus keeping the Sabbath even though He was on earth for 40 days. Why is that? The answer is because all of the rituals (of which Sabbath is one), sacrifices and symbols pointed to or shadowed Christ, but when Christ came, He fulfilled everything that pointed to Him.  The Bible says that the law was given UNTIL the Seed came; It had a definite beginning and a definite end. SDAs teach that it is eternal and must be kept by all.

Galatians 3:19 NLT
“Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised . God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people.”

Galatians 3:19 (NIV)
19 What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come . The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

Jesus, a Person, is now all believers’ Sabbath rest instead of a day. Jesus instructs us:

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
28 "Come to me , all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The book of Hebrews says that the 7th day has been changed to “Today”.

Hebrews 4:4-7 (NIV)
4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work."
5 And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."
6 It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience.
7 Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today , when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."

"Again" in verse 7 means that Jesus had once upon a time set aside a certain day and He's setting aside another day (though different) again. The first day set aside was the 7th and now it's Today, which means everyday.

We can find true rest in Jesus every day.  We can find rest from our works of trying to make it to heaven. We can find rest from attempting to perfectly keep a law that was never given to us.  We are completely saved by grace through faith in Jesus because of the blood of Jesus. When we believe, we are declared the righteousness of God and it has absolutely nothing to do with a particular day or deed. Keeping a special day and/or trying to be perfect are not parts of the equation to be saved. The real equation is: Jesus + Nothing = Everything! We are free to set aside a special day of our choosing to congregate with other believers and /or rest completely in Him everyday. The true church is without walls. It consists of believers everywhere busy loving others.

Romans 14:5 (NIV)
5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

If Sabbath keeping was a big deal, I really don't believe Paul would have made that statement.

SDAs teach that the seal of God is the 7th day Sabbath. This is what their prophetess Ellen White has to say:

“The seal of God’s law is found in the fourth commandment. This only, of all the ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver . It declares Him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows His claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the Decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given.” From Devotional: Our Father Cares, pp. 82, 83.

I submit that if you read Exodus 20 verses 1-2, you will discover that God identified Himself as the Lawgiver BEFORE giving the law by saying, “I Am the Lord your God….” So to ignore the fact that God announced Himself prior to the 4th commandment is simply another SDA attempt to make the 4th commandment more important than the other nine by saying it contains His seal and to try to make it binding on all people. The Lord also identified Himself, showed them favor during the plagues and gave them the Passover BEFORE they even left Egypt. He even gave them their own calendar that was different from the other nations PRIOR to leaving Egypt. It’s crystal clear that God is speaking to Israel whom He had just delivered from a Gentile nation.

Exodus 20:1-2 (NIV) reads….
1 And God spoke all these words:
2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

The following quote by Ellen White is taken from Testimonies, Volume 8, page 117 :

“The sign, or seal, of God is revealed in the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath, the Lord's memorial of creation. "The Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying,
Verily My Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations;
that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you." Exodus 31:12, 13. Here the Sabbath is
clearly designated as a sign between God and His people.”

Under the Old Covenant that God made with Israel, it is true that the Sabbath was the sign (but not a seal) of the covenant agreement. The most important thing to see is that the covenant was with Israel not the Gentiles. The Bible is clear, “Speak thou also unto the children of Israel…” SDAs are applying to themselves the covenant and its sign that was intended for Israel only. In fact, SDAs  believe that they have replaced Israel and are the remnant when the Bible clearly states that God will have a remnant from Israel. I believe this remnant to be the 144,000 spoken of in Revelation from the twelve tribes of Israel as the Bible so clearly indicates.

Revelation 7:4 (NIV)
4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

The Bible also says that the Holy Spirit is the seal, deposit and guarantee of our redemption .

Ephesians 1:11-14 (NIV)
11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,
12 in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.
13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

The Sabbath is never mentioned in the Bible as a seal. The Bible says the seal is the Holy Spirit.

Also note that Ellen White says the following:

"The New Testament does not re-enact the law of the tithe, as it does not that of the Sabbath; for the validity of both is assumed ."  The Faith I Live By , page 244. Taken from the Review & Herald {May 16, 1882 par. 29}

Notice that she says that tithing and the Sabbath are not commanded or re-enacted in the New Testament or New Covenant but they are ASSUMED! So has the SDA church built its doctrines off of an assumption and uses verses in the New Testament about the Sabbath out of context to try to establish its validity? I think so!

Romans 11:11 (NIV) reads concerning Israel and the Gentiles (two distinct classes of people):

11 Again I ask: Did they (Israel) stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.

This verse emphasizes the fact that salvation came only to the Gentiles because of Israel’s continuous transgressions in addition to the fact that God had foreordained it.  Only Israel had the law and the way to salvation UNTIL Jesus fulfilled the law and opened the door for us Gentiles to make Israel jealous so that He might save some of Israel. Please read the entire chapter of Romans 11 and note that in some verses Paul is addressing  Jewish believers only and in some verses he is addressing Gentile believers only. SDAs don’t seem to make this connection or distinction and they apply everything to themselves including the keeping of Israel's law.

The New Covenant was made by God for ALL who believes, which included Jews and Gentiles. After the fulfillment of the law by Jesus (born as a Jew to fulfill the Jewish law) we, as sons and daughters of God, are to be Spirit led since the law given to Israel is now obsolete due to its fulfillment. The Bible says,

Romans 8:14 (AMP)
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Romans 6:14 (KJV)
14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Acts 15 records the Jerusalem Council voting that the Gentiles were not subject to Jewish law. They were given four stipulations in order to keep harmony among the Jews and Gentiles and the Sabbath was not one of them.

SDAs teach that the Mark of the Beast is Sunday worship but they have no biblical support of that. Listen to Mrs. White:

”The Sabbath will be the great test of loyalty, for it is the point of truth especially controverted.  When the final test shall be brought to bear upon men, then the line of distinction will be drawn between those who serve God and those who serve Him not. While the observance of the false sabbath in compliance with the law of the state, contrary to the fourth commandment, will be an avowal of allegiance to a power that is in opposition to God, the keeping of the true Sabbath, in obedience to God's law, is an evidence of loyalty to the Creator. While one class, by accepting the sign of submission to earthly powers, receive the mark of the beast, the other choosing the token of allegiance to divine authority, receive the seal of God.” The Great Controversy Chapter 38 page 605.

Following is a great link that helps explain the Mark of the Beast and the SDA church’s false teaching regarding the same:

Again, I realize this has been lengthy but I pray helpful. There is no need for confusion because the Word or God is consistent and clear throughout its pages. The confusion comes when we try to apply someone else’s rules for our code of living and make them mandatory for salvation. God is not a God of confusion and He is lifting the veil from those that He has chosen for Himself.

God bless you Eric!

QUESTION: I realize that the church is not actually aplace or building but the people within it's wall's!! I worship and try to study every day of the week, but I love gathering with people on a certain day. So if I love the socailizing and feel comfortable with certain people is it ok no matter if we have the excat same beleaves or not????

ANSWER: Hello Eric,

Congregating with others give us a sense of community, oneness and fellowship. I don't know anyone who believes 'exactly' as I or you believe. For instance, in the SDA church, some lift up Ellen White and others totally disregard her; Some eat meat and others believe it is a sin; Some wear jewelry, others believe it is wrong, but they all come together with the same goal to worship God.

Also, remember that there is nothing wrong with going to church on Saturday (or any day) as long as you are not going because you believe that it's a prerequisite to salvation . I choose Sunday because that is what I am comfortable with and God has given me the right to choose. This is the beauty of being led by the Spirit. Your conscience will prick you when you are headed outside of His will for your life. You will know because you won't feel comfortable. ;-)

Continue to be blessed!

QUESTION: I don't mean to keep bug'in you but I have alot of questions!! I have some friends that are of the beleave that once saved always saved. I think we are all born sinners and will go to the grave sinners, but don't we have to make an attempt to have a personal walk with the LORD??? we can't keep doing the same old sins and never ask for forgiveness. don't we have to strive to to be favorable?? Like I said I know we can never obtain perfection but on the same hand we can't be evil can we?? If we are saved no matter what what is the point for alot of other stuff, like satan why keep him around, why not just stay on this GOD forsaken planet and live here forever, why study the bible, why not just kill your enimies,etc. etc. the list could go on. SORRY!!
         Your friend in the LORD

Dear Eric,

Please know that you are not bugging me. I am here to serve as best I can.

I believe that it is the Creator’s right as Creator and God to do with His creation and creatures as He sees fit. Having said that, I also believe that just like the Potter makes pottery for different purposes, God has a purpose for each of our lives.

I have come to believe through much study that God chooses His people and He knows whose are His.

John 15:16-17 (NIV)
16  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
17  This is my command: Love each other.

I believe that His children (believers) are saved and He is able to keep us until He comes back to receive us as His own. In the meantime, we are assured of salvation in the here and now .

Certain things happen when an unbeliever comes to Christ through the prompting of the Holy Spirit. He is born again and the Holy Spirit is united with his spirit. He becomes a new creature in Christ because he has acknowledged or confessed His sins and received cleansing and forgiveness from Christ. He is declared the righteousness of God because of what Jesus did for him at Calvary.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)
21  For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

A born again believer will no longer be focused on pleasing the flesh and the Holy Spirit will empower him to live for God. Will he make mistakes? Yes, but as he continues to focus on Jesus and allow the Holy Spirit to lead him in daily decisions, his life will reflect more and more of Christ living inside of him.

Galatians 2:20 (NASB)
20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me ; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God , who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Since believers are not under law but under grace that does not give them the right to please the flesh when it dishonors God.

Romans 6:14-15 (KJV)  
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

The believer delights in total surrender to God in every area of his life. A believer will not throw caution to the wind. A believer will not deliberately misrepresent Christ in his actions with no desire to allow the Holy Spirit to change him while simultaneously claiming “once saved always saved’. I believe this to be an abuse of grace and it does not fit the profile of a true believer. Remember that for everything that is genuine, there is a counterfeit.

At conversion the unbeliever is completely forgiven once and for all for past, present and future sins because of his faith and belief in Jesus . When the believer acts, speaks, thinks or does something that is not befitting a child of God, he simple talks to Jesus as his friend and tells Him he’s sorry and goes on with life because forgiveness was taken care of at Calvary.

Remember the Bible says many are called but few are CHOSEN and those whom God has chosen are safe and secure in Him. They know His voice, they follow Him and He will allow no one or nothing to snatch them out of His hand.

John 10:27-30 (NASB)
27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.  
29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
30 "I and the Father are one."

The unbeliever (the natural man) is not saved no matter what because the things of Christ are foolishness to him. He has not been born again and therefore he exhibits the sinfulness that resides inside his unconverted heart.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV)
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Mark 7:20-23 (NIV)
20 He (Jesus) went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.'
21 For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,
22 greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
23 All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.'"

A believer is saved no matter what because Christ lives in him, he has become a new creature, he has the mind of Christ and Christ has promised to keep him safe and secure in His love. Sometimes and many times bad things will happen to a believer but through it all, his trust is in Jesus and Jesus is able to give them a peace that others cannot understand.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Christians are brand-new people on the inside. The Holy Spirit gives them new life, and they are not the same anymore. We are not reformed, rehabilitated, or reeducated—we are re-created (new creations), living in vital union with Christ (Colossians 2:6, 7). At conversion we do not merely turn over a new leaf; we begin a new life under a new Master.
Life Application Study Bible

Matthew 7:21(KJV)
21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

I pray that this answer has been helpful.

God bless you my brother!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.