Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbbath Keeping

Question
HOW CAN THEOLOGIANS IN THE SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH, IN THIS PRESENT DAY READ THE HOLY BIBLE AND YET BELIEVE IN THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGEMENT THEORY, SATURDAY SABBATH KEEPING FOR SALVATION, ST MICHEAL AS JESUS, THEY ARE SPIRITUAL JEWS, THE REMNANT OF ISRAEL? DOESN'T THIS MEAN THAT THEY HOLD THE TEACHINGS OF ELLEN WHITE ABOVE THE SAME HOLY BIBLE THEY CLAIM TO ONLY BELIEVE IN?

Answer
Hello Penny,

Thank you for your question.

If I am to be honest, a lot of the pastors that are currently employed by the SDA church do not believe in Ellen White. I think the better question is why do they stay? I really don't have the answer but some that I personally know don't preach or teach her from the pulpit even though the Sabbath School lessons are filled with her commentary. Some of the pastors and members who might not believe in her as a prophet, do believe in the Sabbath. The Sabbath appears to be the cornerstone of Adventism and members believe that if they don't keep the Sabbath they will be lost. Some remain and keep the Sabbath "just in case" to play it safe.

It is my understanding that there are variants of Adventism now. Some call themselves Progressive Adventists.

Ron Corson identifies four common areas of progressive belief:

Investigative judgment. A different view of the investigative judgment, or a denial of its biblical basis.

Remnant. An inclusion of other Christians in the term remnant.

Ellen White. A less rigid view of the Inspiration of Ellen White, from recognizing her fallibility to perhaps even denying her prophetic gift.

Sabbath. An emphasis on the benefits of the Sabbath, but a denial that it is the ‘seal of God’ or that Sunday keeping will ever become the mark of the beast.

Be that as it may, the SDA church has not changed its doctrine to reflect progressives' beliefs.

Most Adventists are deceived and don't even know it. When I was an SDA, I KNEW I had the truth but the Holy Spirit had His way of lifting the veil even though I did not know I was wearing one. Before leaving, I spent more time studying the Sabbath than any other subject because I knew that I had to have the right answer in my spirit before I left. Once I understood the difference between the Old and New Covenants, it was settled and I knew the Sabbath was a non-essential for salvation along with a lot of other SDA doctrines.

The big problem, as I see it, is since they are convinced that they are the special remnant, that they are now spiritual Israel, that the Sabbath seals you, etc., they are not open for the Holy Spirit's or anyone else's interpretation of the Bible because they believe they already have the truth. That's why they won't listen. They will defend the Sabbath and their false doctrine at all cost. Just last week I was in a conversation with an SDA on Facebook and he actually said that the Bible was wrong and Ellen White was right. I was stunned, yet I wasn't. He actually admitted it in writing and no SDA in my circle of contacts had never done that before.

To muddy the water even more, they have a very easy reading Bible called the Clear Word that is published by the church's publishing houses. Texts have been altered to agree with Ellen White and it includes her commentary to interpret.

I truly don't understand how a theologian can remain in a church that prohibits him from preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't understand how they can put the yoke of Sabbath keeping (sunset to sunset) on people. I don't understand how they can believe that Jesus has to check some books to see who will be saved when He already knows whose are His.

Some of my young SDA theologian friends said that the professors could not explain the Investigative Judgment when they were in the seminary. This is an SDA foundation belief that belittles the atonement by giving Satan a role as the scapegoat or sin bearer.

Since I know that God knows whose are His, I also know from experience that He is capable of ripping the veil from those that belong to Him in His own timing. I continue to pray to that end and answer questions when given the privilege.

Hoping this has been somewhat helpful.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen