Seventh-Day Adventists/type of fast

are there different type of fasts...  are fasts there such thing as a daniel fast...

Yes, there are many different types and levels of fasting.  Fasts are also Biblical (Judges 20:26; 1 Samuel 7:6; 31:13; 2 Samuel 1:12; 12:16,21,22,23; 1 Kings 21:27; 1 Chronicles 10:12; Ezra 8:23; Nehemiah 1:4; Esther 4:16; Isaiah 58:3,4; Jeremiah 14:12; Zechariah 7:5; Matthew 4:2; 6:16,17,18; 9:14,15; Mark 2:18,19,20; Luke 5:33,34,35; 18:12; Acts 10:30; 13:2,3).  Lastly, though the Bible doesn't call what Daniel did a "fast," it can certainly be viewed as such from the standpoint of the definition of a fast.

You see, fasts have always been viewed as being a spiritual act.  However, the fast has come to be more closely connected with eating.  The dictionary says that to fast is "to abstain from eating all or certain foods or meals, esp as a religious observance."  But, many recognize that a spiritual fast is more about giving up just about anything for a certain time in order to gain a closer spiritual insight about (or in relationship with) God.  When not connected with food, these things I hinted at, then, are things which are taking up a lot of our time -- time, perhaps, which would be better spent communing with God -- or things which are filling our minds in other than a spiritual manner.

All such fasts (including those dealing with food) don't have to be about completely giving up something, though.  They can be about just cutting back severely for the period of the fast.  Because of the medical makeup of the individual, some cannot go even a day without food without passing out.  For these individuals, if they wish to perform a food-based fast, they can do what is called a partial fast.

Daniel's Fast is just such a partial fast.  Daniel and the other three Hebrew boys didn't give up all food.  They simply requested that they be given only plant foods and water for 10 days as a way of demonstrating that the King's idea of "food" wasn't necessary for strength and vitality (Daniel 1:3-17).  Based upon verse 16, we might certainly understand that they continued to eat only plant foods and water after that time.  But, that is not the point of the story nor does it take away from the concept of "Daniel's Fast."  In our modern times of highly processed foods and concentrated sugars, "Daniel's Fast" would absolutely be a fast in the truest sense even for modern vegetarians.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark

I can answer most any question which is truly Bible-centric. I make this distinction because there is much which is considered biblical; but, which, is actually based only upon the traditions of men. However, I will also state this caveat: not all traditions are necessarily "bad" by definition. Otherwise, the subject about which I am passionate is The Law of God. There is much misconception in this area. In point of fact, I, myself, only woke up a bit over 10 years ago (2002) to what is truly meant by the Law of God and how that relates to Salvation. This, of course, is a touchy subject when you start mixing the Law of God with the subject of Salvation -- which, everyone should know, is a gift of God, by grace, through faith and not of works; lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). I am thankful that God the Holy Spirit has opened, and is opening, my eyes to these Truths.

I have taken Bible classes every year since the first grade through 4-year college level and study the Bible every week with others in Sabbath School. I have also continued studying the Bible, on my own, throughout my life -- particularly these last 10+ years. Therefore, I consider myself to have about 48+ years of both formal and informal Bible experience upon which to draw.

I am a current member in good and full standing with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. I am also a level-7 member of Yahoo!Answers in the Religion & Spirituality group. Lastly, though not a related discipline, I am also a member at because of my professional standing as a computer programmer of more than 35 years.

"The Truth About the Law of God" by Dave L Clark I is a 298-page book available at Some of my writings may also be found on the following websites: << >>; << >>; and, << >>.

I have 3 years of formal college and a 4-year college equivalence degree in Information Technology. Otherwise, I am not formally credentialed in Bible doctrine or theology. However, when did God ever say that He only speaks to or through theologian-type or highly-placed sources?