Seventh-Day Adventists/$5,000 offer for one verse

Question
Dear Sal:

I will give you $5,000 if you can give me just one Bible verse that commands Christians to worship on Sunday or shows the Sabbath is changed to Sunday. Since you are an avowed anti-sabbatarian you should be able to show us all at least one verse that supports the spurious Sabbath that is Sunday worship. If you fail then you prove to all of us that your teaching on the Sabbath not being for Christians is wrong. If you don’t answer me then you prove that you are a fake.

I await your reply,
Stan

Answer
Dear Brother Stan:

First, I don’t believe that the 7th day Sabbath was changed to the 1st day of the week. Second, I don’t support as necessary for Christians worship on the “spurious Sabbath” as you call worship on Sunday. Therefore, I wouldn’t even consider taking up your challenge because I agree that there is no verse that commands that Christians only worship on Sunday or that shows the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. There are those who do believe that the Sabbath is now on Sunday and that we must worship on Sunday, however, I’m not one of them. So my inability to meet your requirements does not mean that I’m wrong.

Your challenge is an old sabbatarian ploy designed to take the focus away from the real issue. The issue actually is who was the Sabbath given to, why was it given, and was it carried over into the New Covenant. To that end let’s recall that the Sabbath was only given to the Israelites as the sign of their covenant (the Old Covenant) with God.  

“The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NIV).

The Sabbath was never given to us as the sign of our covenant (the New Covenant) with God. Therefore, your request is irrelevant. The Sabbath has no place in the New Covenant. It is never called “a sign” of the New Covenant. The Sabbath went the way of the rest of the Old Covenant into obsolescence. “In that He says, ‘A new covenant’” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 NKJV). So the Sabbath has not been changed. The Sabbath is still the 7th day and is still only for Israelites, those under their authority (cf. Deuteronomy 5:13-14), and converts (cf. Isaiah 56: 3, 6). Paul very clearly taught that the Jewish holy days, including the 7th day Sabbath, were not to be required of Gentile Christians.

“So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ” (Colossians 2:16-17 NKJV).

I don’t consider myself anti- sabbatarian because I’m not against Christians observing the Sabbath. The New Testament witness allows Christians to observe the Sabbath if they wish to do so. It’s a personal decision not a moral command. “One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind” (Romans 14:5 NIV).

As an aside there is some debate over exactly what “day” Paul is referring to. If Paul is only referring to days to fast on based on the principle of if it’s not a salvation issue give liberty and don’t judge this would still apply to the day of worship. The majority of SDAs that I have had contact with say that Christians don’t have to observe the Sabbath in order to be saved, therefore, Paul’s principle of give liberty and don’t judge in non-salvation issues would apply to the Sabbath even by SDA standards. Again, remember that the New Testament doesn’t make the day of worship a salvation issue either.

What I am against is some Christians attempting to bind Sabbath observance on the consciences of other Christians. Please note that not even one New Testament author ever wrote that Christians were obligated to observe the sign of the Old Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath.

In the New Covenant we have a better rest available to us than the Israelites had under the inferior Old Covenant (cf. Hebrews 8:6). They had a physical rest from their labor. A rest that lasted for only 24 hours. We have a spiritual rest that lasts forever. Our rest is not found in the observance of a day. Our rest is found in putting complete faith in the Savior.

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV).

I suppose if I wanted to I could issue you a similar challenge: supply just one Bible verse that shows that Adam & Eve kept the 7th day Sabbath.

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal